Monthly income

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bowler4, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bowler4

bowler4 Newbie

Have been looking and can't seem to find what is the maximum monthly income a person can have to determine eligibility? This is important before I go filling out all this paper work.
    Thanks,
    Anyone with an answer?

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

It is not so much the maximum income but the countable income after reducing income with unreimbursed medical expenses. We can provide the countable income but we need to know if we are talking about a veteran, veteran with spouse or widow.

If you need additional info please let us know.

The Veteran Advocate

3. bowler4

bowler4 Newbie

Veteran only, no spouse. WWII 84 years of age. Most meds are covered by insurance/medicare. So just was wanting an idea of the income guideline before I spend hours (that I don't really have) trying to fill out papers. Figure this is the smart place to start.
    Thanks,

4. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

Again, keep in mind that the cost of assist care; in-home care and/or nursing home charges can be use to reduce income. The countable income limit for a single veteran that qualifies for 'aid & attendance' is $18,654. The VA will pay the difference up to that amount. If the veteran has no countable income after deducting the unreimbursed medical expenses then the vet would be entitled to the full $18,654 per year. If the countable income is reduced to $10,000 then the veteran would be entitled to $8,654 per year.

Does this answer your question? Please let us know if you have additional questions.

The Veteran Advocate

5. bowler4

bowler4 Newbie

Yes, this answers my question. I will do some figuring and go from there.
    Thanks,