Length of time courthouse hold dd214 when it gets registered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HelpinDad, Jan 19, 2016.

1. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

I called the courthouse this morning in the Florida county where my father lives to ask about registering his discharge papers etc. I am going to be in his area next Monday. They were very kind and said that they do it. However they told me that I would need to leave with them Dad's original DD214 for 3 or 4 days. I would be able to get a registered original copy the day of. And that after a few days Dad would have to go back and get the original. To those who have done this, Does this sound correct?

I would have expected to be able to walk away with the original and a registered copy and then they would keep and put on file a registered original (copy).

Just curious as I live some distance from Dad and will not be able to stay in town past Monday for this.

Sincerely,
    HelpinDad

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can take his original DD-214 to any bank that has a Notary, and have them certify that it is a True and Accurate Copy, and you will leave with both.

That would be our recommendation.

3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I know that a certified copy of the DD214 is required for the VA application. I tried faxing the standard form 180, it was always busy. I ended up mailing it to the St Louis address. I should probably try and call them to see if they received the application and how long it takes to send a copy. I understand that it takes a while.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

toxdoc,

You don't state how long ago you mailed it, but it would not hurt to give a call and see if you can reach someone to get clarification.