Length of time courthouse hold dd214 when it gets registered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HelpinDad, Jan 19, 2016.

1. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

I called the courthouse this morning in the Florida county where my father lives to ask about registering his discharge papers etc. I am going to be in his area next Monday. They were very kind and said that they do it. However they told me that I would need to leave with them Dad's original DD214 for 3 or 4 days. I would be able to get a registered original copy the day of. And that after a few days Dad would have to go back and get the original. To those who have done this, Does this sound correct?

I would have expected to be able to walk away with the original and a registered copy and then they would keep and put on file a registered original (copy).

Just curious as I live some distance from Dad and will not be able to stay in town past Monday for this.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can take his original DD-214 to any bank that has a Notary, and have them certify that it is a True and Accurate Copy, and you will leave with both.

That would be our recommendation.
  3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I know that a certified copy of the DD214 is required for the VA application. I tried faxing the standard form 180, it was always busy. I ended up mailing it to the St Louis address. I should probably try and call them to see if they received the application and how long it takes to send a copy. I understand that it takes a while.
  4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You don't state how long ago you mailed it, but it would not hurt to give a call and see if you can reach someone to get clarification.