I process claims for pension benefits at the VA. Ask me anything.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, Aug 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jbheck

jbheck Newbie

My Mother is a surviving spouse of my Father who was a WWII vet. He died two years ago and Mom's remaining assets are just under $80,000. She is eligible and I am filling out VA Form 21-534-EZ.

My question on this form is on Question 16, "What are you claiming? (Check all that apply)

Dependency and IndemnityCompensation (DIC)

Death Pension

Accrued Benefits

The instructions are quite vague. Which of these do I check?

Thanks

2. sschramm

sschramm Newbie

Finalizing A&A paperwork for my mom -- do I need to send Statement in Support of Claim along with initial application?

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

jbheck and sschramm, I answered your questions on your single post on the forums. Hope that helped!

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can use VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to update the VA on the increase in expenses. You can include the $500 being paid to your sister if she is acting in a caregiver capacity, but you cannot list it as rent as she is not a licensed care facility, and "rent" would not be considered an allowable medical expense. If she is providing care, you would just show an increase in their care expenses along with the other adjustments.

5. ric480

ric480 Newbie

My mom receives A&A. She was just awarded a one time bonus of $1850 as benificiary of Dad's pension. Does this need to be reported to VA ? What form ( 4138 ? ) would be used ?

6. Kaylin

ric480,

I would use Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to inform the VA that this is a ONE TIME bonus, and make that very clear. So that they do not think your mother is bringing in an additional $1850 a month.

7. ric480

ric480 Newbie

Thank you Kaylin for the speedy reply.

Happy holidays to VeteranAid.org and all associated with it.

8. Kaylin

ric480,

You are very welcome! Thank you for the well wishes. Happy Holidays to you as well!

9. ric480

ric480 Newbie

I wonder if someone can confirm this for me. I'm preparing my initial fiduciary accounting. I called the Indianapolis fiduciary hub with a question about form 21-4718A "Certification of Balance On Deposit and Authorization To Disclose Financial Records"" and was told by the VA rep that the form is no longer required as part of the fiduciary accounting process ( she said it was a recent change in policy). Is this true ?

If not, does the submitted 21-4718A have to be the original returned from the bank, or can it be a copy ? I'm having a "dickens" of a time getting this form returned to me from the bank. Any advice you wonderful people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

10. vetadmin

Ric,

Not sure on the 21-4718 having been discontinued. Trust me, if the VA wants it, they will let you know.

You can do a copy as long as it is a "certified" copy.

11. ledzepfan

ledzepfan Newbie

My mother has yet to receive her Survivors Pension award letter for 2016. In years past, she received this letter in early December. Are the 2016 letters late? Thank you.

12. vetadmin

I believe that since there is no social security increase for the coming year, they may not be sending one out.

Can appreciate wanting to keep good records, but as long as her checks keep getting deposited, you should be good to go.

13. ledzepfan

ledzepfan Newbie

That makes sense. Thank you for your prompt reply!

14. vetadmin

You're welcome.

15. rfhjr

rfhjr Newbie

A portion of my fathers Aid and Attendance funds where not released as the Veterans Administration was in the process of the paper work to have his wife manage his Aid and Attendance funds. He died before these funds were released. I am planning to fill out a form for his wife who paid the funeral expenses and there are no children under 18. Which form should I use 21 601 or 21 534.

16. Kaylin

rfhjr,

You would use form 21-601 for accrued benefits paid by his wife for your father's final arrangements. Our condolences for the loss of your father.

Kaylin

17. vetadmin

rfhjr,

You would use form 21-601, but there may be an issue since I am assuming their banking account was a joint one, and the VA would have considered their assets jointly.

Given this, the VA "may" say that she personally is not out of funds the same way that a son, daughter, non-spouse would be who paid for final arrangements.

Just want to be clear on this, so there are not unreasonable expectations.

Our condolences on the loss of your Dad.

18. rfhjr

rfhjr Newbie

Thank you for the reply I will take that into consideration. For anyone interested the pdf fillable form is listed as 21P-601

19. JwPifer01

JwPifer01 Newbie

So just to be sure, before I put my Father through the laborious application process, He currently draws a monthly VA pension for 100% service connected disability (loss of Hearing), which is more than the A&A, however it appears that he can draw both the disability & the A&A if he is approved. Is that a true statement (he can draw both if his disability is 100% service connected)? In addition, do we need to show the disability check as countable income ?

Thank you for all of the great assistance you have provided to others. As a cold war veteran with a Korean War veteran Father and 3 nephews who have served - we all are grateful for you and those that serve us.

20. Kaylin

JwPifer01,

You can apply for and hopefully be awarded the Aid and Attendance benefit if your father is, in fact, rated at 100% service connected disability. You will have to show all monthly income on the application, so you will have to show the disability check. I would include the Statement in Support of Claim form to better explain that your father is at 100% service connected disability to explain that monthly check. Just to be safe and make it very clear to the VA.

We are happy to help! Thank you for the kind words.