How many acres for a home?

Discussion in 'Selling of Home' started by Jandy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

My apologies if this has been asked and answered. I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Is there guidance as to how many acres will be considered part of a home by the VA?

My veteran father's little house sits on 20 acres of rural land. If it matters, the county taxes him separately: one bill for the 1 acre with the house, and another bill for the 19 acres. But it's all one parcel of land.

Any ideas?...Thank you!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Jandy,

The ruling right now with the VA is you are allowed a reasonable amount of land - what is reasonable in your father's area - if it is zoned 20 acres and not sub-dividable - that is reasonable - if she can subdivide and sell it for enough so that his assets were enough to pay for his care for a reasonable amount of time, then he has resources to pay for his care and the VA will say "Your assets are enough to pay for your care at this time".

I hope that helps clear up your questions! It will also depend on how much other income your father currently has coming in per month and how much he owns in assets vs. how much he is spending on care per month. The VA will take the acres of land in consideration in addition to these items.