Help! I'm so confused.

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Patty56, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Patty56

Patty56 Newbie

I filed form 21-534 for my mother back in 2012. She was denied because her income exceeded the limit so she was not given a rating. Now it's 2016 and she has just moved into assisted living. and meets all eligibility requirements. My question is do I start over and reapply using form 21-524ez. I have the discharge papers, marriage certificate,death certificate, social security awards letter, net worth info, physicians statement, medical expense report, authorization to disclose info to third party(so I can get info). Now do I refile all this or should I file differently since it's a refile. I did not think I received a VA file number. The denial letter just said in reply to refer to 330/22R4/DDH
    XC 11 965 640.
    Please help me get this all straight in my head.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hello Patty,

I'm hoping we can clear this up for you. If you filed the 21-534 form in 2012 and your mother was denied the first time, you can just send in a Statement in Support of Claim with any supporting documents that are necessary to show your mother requires more financial need than she did before. Make sure to write on the Statement in Support of Claim form when you first filed for the benefit and why you are filing now. Include bank statements that show increased care expenses, a Statement of Occupancy from the assisted living facility, and this Nursing Home Status Statement form. You can cross out all instances of "nursing home" and right "ALF" above them to stand for assisted living facility. Since you're not sure about the VA file number you can leave it blank. Explain as much as you can on the Statement in Support of Claim. Send everything return receipt.
  3. Deborah Knapp

Deborah Knapp Newbie

Hello I am new to this site, glad I found it. I did post this on another forum because I did not know where to post. so sorry if you read twice.
    We started a claim for A&A 30 July 2015. In order to explain the situation I have sent a copy of a inquiry letter Certified with documentation to the VA in May 2016 and never did here back with the exception that it had been signed for. I thought it would be easier to see the steps that have been taken by sending a copy of letter. I do have a VA form 21-0845 on file.

TO: J.M Paul
    Veterans Service Center Manager
    Claim Number 18-282-223 Janet L. Rowland

This letter is in regards to an Inquiry on Claim for Aid and Attendance file number 18-282-223 Janet L. Rowland SSN: 116 Enterprise Court, Greenwood, SC 29649.

The Veteran Billy Rowland SSN:: Date of Birth; 03/28/30, Service Dates: 06/26/19951 to 03/31/1974. Death 28 July 2015.

I am the daughter of Billy Rowland and Janet Rowland. Deborah Knapp (RET SGM). My mother is 84 years old and legally blind so I am trying to help her.

The Application for Aid and Attendance was originally sent 30 June 2015. June 30 2015, my parents went into Assisted Living, 116 Enterprise Court, Greenwood SC 29649. My father had dementia and my mother’s blindness. They received a letter from the VA dated 24 July 2015 stating the VA received Application for benefits.

My father fell and broke his hip in July and ended up in the hospital. He ended up with Sepsis of the Blood prior to discharge and unexpectedly passed on 27 July 2015. When my mother received the Death Certificate she took it to the local VA and it was sent along with an updated packet since her income changed and death. She did not here anymore from the VA so the assistant at Morningside Assistant living took her back down to the VA and the VA checked on the packet and she was told she would receive benefits within 100 days.

In November received a letter dated 2 November 2015 stating we received application for benefits. (Again)? December received a letter dated 8 Dec 2015 we are still processing your application. February received a letter dated 5 February 2016 we are still processing your application for Pension.

Then from a different office of the VA (Pension Management center) Dated 11 February 2016 Stating We are working on your claim for Survivors Pension. But, need additional evidence to complete. She had to get a copy of death certificate of her first marriage and another income report. This also said date of Claim: 8 October 2016?

Then in April she received another letter from another Office of the VA VARO dated 01 April 2016 stating that they did not receive VA form 21-686c Declaration of status of dependents therefor we must deny claim. She has no dependents!!! She lives in assisted living and her husband passed. Morningside took her back down to the local VA the VA did some paperwork and Mailed it to the VA.

In May she received another letter dated 12 May 2016 Stated we received your application for Benefits. (Again)?

This has been almost a year processing this claim. Should not the initial date of 30 June 2015 be the date? Which, I have provided a copy of the initial application for benefits. All letters have the same claim number. All of these letters state application for benefits; so we are so confused. I have read what qualifications are for Aid and Attendance and I know they qualified. The Executive Director of Morningside Assisted Living said that she has never seen this happen before and said generally it only take a few months.
    I live 3 hours from my mother, so any documentation she receives someone at assisted living tries to help her and she does not understand somethings. And every time she gets a Letter from the VA she has to have someone read it and then cries because it says the same thing. This has been a hardship, with the death of my father, losing her home and now with finances. My mother is worried sick. We would liketo request expediting the claim?

This has also been a financial hardship on my husband and me. We are retired and had to take out a loan last June to cover until they could possibly receive benefits and it’s coming to an end.

I would appreciate any information or status you could give me for this claim. I have enclosed all documents that Morningside has scanned to me. Thank you for time and help.

In July I called and finally got to speak with a VA rep. That my mother did not owe them any kind of documentation She told me that they were waiting on my fathers records to come. I explained that I had copies of DD214 etc she said no from the record holding area. I asked what for she said for DIC I explained that we did not file for that, but A&A and she stated e are trying to get he 300.00 more a month and because of our hardship she would try and get it pushed up I would here an answer to inquiry in about a week. After about two I received a voicemail from a VA rep saying a decision will be made within the next week or two. Then received an email a letter is on the way with decision. Last Friday my mother received a letter stating denied for DIC as of August 1 2015 evidence of income showed $(15,034.00) limit for a surviving spouse is (8,630.00) Remember in my inquiry I stated when my father passed passed 28 July 2015. His income would of been in there. I drove 3 hours and took her to a VA rep in her home town. The Va rep looked at the letter called and than she filled out and faxed VA 21-0518-1 and VA 21P-8416. Now what? what can be expected. What still will need to be done? I just don't no where to go any more. And this is killing my mother. Thanks to anyone that can help. Sorry so long.