General Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ltufo, Apr 9, 2007.

  1. ltufo

    ltufo Newbie

    Hello Everyone -
    I am writing on behalf of my parents. My father is a veteran and served in the Korean war. My mother due to many medical issues has just been placed in an assisted living facility in Massachusetts. Their income is approx $1,800 per month in ss and pension income. They have approx. $280K in cash and own a home. We are seeking clarification on a couple of issues...Please help

    1. We understand that they will have to private pay until their networth = 80K or less (excluding car/home) - Is the 80K they get to keep in addition to the monthly income of $1800?
    2. Is this VA (A&A) benefit in addition to medicaide or should my parents choose one or the other depending on which provides more coverage and leaves my father enough money to support himself?
    Thanks a million for any advice you can offer..It has been difficult to obtain answers
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Due to the complexity of this question and circumstances, it was answered off line directly to the poster.

  3. If the spouse of the veteran is the one needing the care, is she elegible now or not until the veteran also needs care? If the couple cannot live on their own due to the needs of the non veteran spouse, does that qualify them for assistance?
    Thanks much!
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    If the veteran is age 65 or older, and meets the other basic requirements, he is entitle to a non-service connected pension at the base rate. His wife's medical expenses can be use to reduce their income. The veteran can be in perfect health but at age 65 he is considered to be disabled for VA pension purposes.

    When the veteran's health starts to decline then they can apply for an increase to include the housebound rating or A&A.
  5. So if the veteran is 87 and the spouse is 82, they can apply for VA aid and attendance? The veteran has health issues, however, the spouse's health concerns are more serious at this time.
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    If the veteran himself does not require Aid and Attendance, then no, you cannot file for A&A for the spouse. What you can do is is file for the Basic Pension for the veteran providing that he meets all the other requirements. As his needs increase for assistance, then you could file for A&A. Aid and Attendance is the 3rd tier of the Improved Pension which ranks in order of need from Basic, Housebound to A&A.

    The wife's medical expenses can be used to reduce their income to help qualify.

    You may want to visist: for the Beginners Guide for further explanation.

    Hope this helps.
  7. drginseng

    drginseng Newbie

    Thank You so much for taking the time to help support so many. My question is inline with the previous post. My father is a Korean War veteran and my mother is moving into an ALF due to Alzheimer's. The amount of support required for my mother's care will be more than my father's income. I see where you state my father cannot file for A&A for my mother's condition. The intake manager at the ALF stated that my father can apply for A&A for my mother, but I guess we need to go the route of applying for pension benefits for dad, eh?
  8. veteranadvocate

    veteranadvocate Full Member

    The veteran has to be the one entitled to the benefit. If your father is receiving service-connected compensation at the 30% level or greater, then he can apply for aid & attendance for your mother. Your father can use your mother's cost for the assisted living to reduce their countable income and get more from the VA. Your mother is not entitle to pension and/or aid & attendance as long as your father is living. She will be able to file for widow's pension with aid & attendance when that time comes.

    You may want to call the VA toll-free number and hopefully you will get someone decent to answer your question or confirm the information that I am providing. If I am wrong, please let me know. I am only basing my response on the information provided or as I understand the question. Thank you and wishing you and your parents the best.

    PLUNGER Newbie

    My brother, who is 100% disabled (non-service connected) is a Vietnam era veteran. However he left active duty March 1964, reserve committment expired January 1968. He was not in-country. I am seeking clarification of his eligibility for A&A. He desperately needs housing with some medical supervision and has no income or assets other than SSDI.
  10. veteranadvocate

    veteranadvocate Full Member

    Based on the service dates listed in your post, your brother would not be eligible for a non-service connected pension and 'aid & attendance'. The following dates is what the VA established for the Vietnam Era.

    Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964, through May 7, 1975. However, February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975, for a veteran who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period.

    I encourage you to check with him to see if he had any injuries or treated for any conditions while he was on active duty for training. He could be entitle to service-connected compensation for these conditions.

    Sorry we could not provide better news for you and your brother.

Share This Page