Form 21-527EZ: Unreimbursed Expenses

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Jandy, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

I am filling out VA Form 21-527EZ for my veteran father. He lives in an assisted living facility.

I have a couple questions about Section X of the form ("Medical, Legal or Other Unreimbursed Expenses").

(1) I'm confused--I have heard over and over again that the VA is interested in ONLY recurring expenses, but this section suggests otherwise since it asks for "Date Paid.".....I mean, this has to be where I put the amount Dad pays per month for assisted living, correct? That's his biggest UME--the asstd living bill alone brings his countable income down to 0. And then there's insurance premiums, his meds, etc.....SO under "Date Paid," should I just write "monthly?"; and "Amount Paid by You" is the monthly amount (for ALF or meds, etc)?

(2) The first 3 months Dad was in assisted living, he got a "move-in special" rent discount (~$500--$1,000 off his bill ea month). Now, in his 4th month, he's settled in at the usual rate. I'm afraid of even bringing this up in my application for fear it will muddy the waters. The ALF has signed a "Statement of Occupancy" for Dad certifying his monthly (non-discounted) rate. The bank acct statement I will send in with the application will show the non-discounted rate debited from his account......Any advice on how to deal with this, if at all? I'm not trying to get away with anything, but I don't want to get kicked out of the FDC tract if the VA gets confused.

As an aside--is it me, or do these VA forms fail to match up with real-world circumstances?! They don't seem to correspond to most applicants' situations....

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Jandy,

You are fine with listing monthly expenses for any medical, RX's, but you are correct that the ALF fee is going to be what carries the weight of the application.

DO NOT raise the issue of the reduced rent on the application! Put what the rate is now going forward and leave it at that.

No, it is not just you. VA forms are made to be impossible, confusing, and require way too much info for the particular "pension" since it is not based on "service-connected" injuries.

Good Luck with the process. Mail Return Receipt, and keep a complete copy of the application for your records. Do not mail original Discharge Papers. Send a certified copy of them.

3. C_Vink

C_Vink Newbie

What about a credit card bill, personal loan payment and monthly tax bill for taxes owed? Should we include them in the un-reimbursed expenses, since they are obligated to pay these bills as well? Do we include backup documentation to support the expense?

4. C_Vink

C_Vink Newbie

What about a credit card bill, personal loan payment and monthly tax bill for taxes owed? Should we include them in the un-reimbursed expenses, since they are obligated to pay these bills as well? Do we include backup documentation to support the expense?

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You cannot use those types of bills to be listed as expenses. The purpose of the Aid and Attendance benefit is to help veterans and/or their spouses pay for costs of care. A credit card bill is not a cost of care, nor is a personal loan payment, etc. Only medical and care expenses can be used.

6. C_Vink

C_Vink Newbie

Thank you Kaylin for your response. What about the payments my father made to me as his caregiver? Do I need to provide backup for those payments, if so what is acceptable as back up documentation for this payment. All I have is the cashed checks from his bank statement that show the check made to me "Caregiver Fee" in the memo area.

7. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You are quite welcome. Yes, any payments your father made to you for your service to him as his caregiver can certainly be included. Make sure he is paying you by check so that you can have bank statements for proof of these payments. The bank statements should be all you need.