file lost

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by vetson58, Sep 9, 2013.

1. vetson58

vetson58 Newbie

I filed a claim 4 months ago.Received a receipt that packet was received.Never got an acknowledgement letter.Called the call center and they had no record of my claim.Referred me to the pension center.Was told,just because a claim made it to the front door,doesnt mean it got filed.Bottom line,I was told I would have to re-file and start all over.do I have any recourse?Thanks for any suggestions

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Call and talk to someone else, and tell them you have proof of delivery, and see if you get a different answer. Let us know.

3. vetson58

vetson58 Newbie

Thanks Debbie.I will give this a shot.This can get really frustrating,to say the least.

4. vetadmin

You're welcome, and yes it can!

5. dec290i

dec290i Newbie

Should everyone filing a claim always receive an acknowledgment letter? I helped my mother file over a month ago and have received nothing at all like a letter of acknowledgment.I did receive the return receipt from both the informal claim (filed in July 13) and also the completed application (August 13).I do realize it is still real early but how long should you give VA before contacting them to see if they have a record of a claim being filed? I certainly dont want to sit back and wait 5 or 6 months before checking and then be told they have no record of it.

vetson58 I hope they do find your application and the situation is settled to your satisfaction very soon.

6. vetadmin

You "usually" will receive a form letter acknowledging receipt within 45 days.

If you are at that point now, I would call and verify it with the VA just to cover your bases.

7. dec290i

dec290i Newbie

The 45 calendar days on the completed application being delivered to the VA pension center will not be up until October 3rd.

I was wondering if anyone had an update from vetson58 on the status of their application?