Family Member Caring for Mother

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by jfagan60, Mar 5, 2015.

  1. jfagan60

    jfagan60 Newbie


    I have a question if my husband quits his job and watches my mother during the day till I or her granddaughter can take over can he be paid.
    My mother plans on moving to the state I live in and rent her own home. Either my self or her granddaughter will stay with her
    over night. During the day my husband would quit his job and pick her up or stay at her house to provide her care.

    The doctor is saying her needs 24/7 supervision. She has elder Dementia requiring someone to provide meals, medication, Dr appointments etc.

    Can my husband be paid to provide her care??

    Thanks for your help.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Your Mom would have to make application for this pension, and being paying him or whomever to provide her care at the time of application. Your Mom can pay him or whoever she chooses to act as her caregiver.

    You would want all of this in place at the time of application.

    You may want to keep in mind that it can take several months to get through the application process.

Share This Page