Expenses/milage/travel? form 21P-8416

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by JennA10194, Jul 27, 2016.

1. JennA10194

JennA10194 Newbie

I am starting to work on the medical expense report specifically the section that lists expenses related to a hospital, doctor or other medical facility.

I drove round trip to Florida to get my Dad and I drove him directly to the ALF that he is in now (with w hotel stays in between coming and going.) Can I claim this milage plus the hotel stays?

Also, I have save receipts from incidentals that I have bought for him: Depends, arthritis cream, Pepto Bismol and hearing aid batteries. Can I claim these? Do I need to include the receipts?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

JennA,

I would say you would have trouble claiming those expenses. I've never had someone present with this situation before, so I can't be 100% certain. I would guess that the VA would not count the hotel stays and mileage as "costs of care" that the benefit can help pay for. I will do some more research on this and let you know if I find anything different.

Yes, you can claim the Depends as it is an ongoing expense. Anything that is an ongoing expense can be claimed, the hearing aid batteries would probably not count.

3. JennA10194

JennA10194 Newbie

Do I need to include receipts or copies of bills with the expenses?

Also, when I went to get my dad, I drove directly from the nursing care facility in FL to his current ALF in PA with only stops for gas and a hotel inbetween.

4. Kaylin

JennA, after doing more research you cannot claim the mileage and hotel stay as expenses because they are not "costs of care". You should definitely include copies of bills/receipts of any care expenses, though. Now, if your father paid you for the transfer from the FL facility to the ALF in PA, then you may be able to claim those as expenses for care. The VA might accept that.

5. JennA10194

JennA10194 Newbie

I appreciate all of your help and the answers. I have more questions though: The part of the form that says Medicare part B and part D, I am clueless as to what I am supposed to put here. My Dad gets quarterly statements from Medicare but I don't see anything listed as a part B or D. It just says what Medicare paid or didn't pay. He also has a secondary insurance through AARP and I don't know where that fits in either. I appreciate any advice or help. Thanks

6. Kaylin

JennA, that would definitely be a question for Medicare. We are not Medicare or Medicaid experts here, and I'd rather you get the right answer from the best source. I would call them and ask how you can separate out the two from his statement. Is his insurance for life insurance? If so, he doesn't report it unless he were to cash it in.

7. JennA10194

JennA10194 Newbie

I don't even know but I'll contact them and see what they can tell me. Thanks.

Kaylin likes this.