Confused, can you help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ga1004peach, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ga1004peach

ga1004peach Newbie

Hi,

I'm confused about whether or not my dad is considered a veteran when it comes to benefits concerning demdntia assistance. I'll explain-- he was in the navy and was injured and ended up in the hospital for over 18 months. The injury wasn't duty related-- it was a car accident, but he was medically discharged and has received disability benefits since then--- 1961(?). he didn't serve during a war but I'm not sure since he was medically retired if that enabled him to receive the benefits that are offered for veterans that need 24/7 caregivers help.

Thanks, Beth a confused daughter

2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

I'm confused about whether or not my dad is considered a veteran when it comes to benefits concerning demdntia assistance. I'll explain-- he was in the navy and was injured and ended up in the hospital for over 18 months. The injury wasn't duty related-- it was a car accident, but he was medically discharged and has received disability benefits since then--- 1961(?). he didn't serve during a war but I'm not sure since he was medically retired if that enabled him to receive the benefits that are offered for veterans that need 24/7 caregivers help.

Military personnel are considered on duty 24 hours a day. It does not matter if an injury was incurred during war time or peace time. Your father is entitled to the same benefits as a veteran injured on the front line during war. The only way that a veteran would not be entitled to service-connected compensation is if the accident was caused by willful misconduct. It is apparent that your father was not at fault.

If your father is rated service-connected at 70% or greater, the VA will cover his cost for assisted care facility and/or nursing home care. They can also pay for in-home care. If he is not rated at 70% or greater, he should check into applying for an increase. There are a lot of additional benefits that goes along with this.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

The Veteran Advocate

3. ga1004peach

ga1004peach Newbie

Thanks for answering. I will pull out his paper work and see what it says. I may be back in touch if I have further questions.

Beth