Another ALF Cost Question

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Don X, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Don X

Don X Newbie

First off, thank you for adding me to your membership. I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of weeks and have already learned enough to make me feel more comfortable about the application process...okay, may not comfortable but less intimidated.

It looks like it's time for Mom to move into an Assisted Living Facility and she's 90% on board which is the biggest hurdle. I believe I understand the eligibility criteria but I'm a little fuzzy on qualifying costs. Does the entire ALF cost count towards determining eligibility? Because her normal and basic living expenses will be replaced by the ALF fees it seems like some of the ALF costs could possibly not count towards eligibility because basic costs of living are a fact of life and have to be paid regardless of where you are.

Additionally, once she is in an ALF, the monthly cost will definitely be more than her monthly income. If that is the case, are the ALF costs the only expense that needs to be shown on the application or do we have to disclose expenses above and beyond the amount needed to qualify?

Thanks.

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hello Don, thank you for the kind words! I'm happy to hear the forums have been helpful to you so far.

Yes, the ALF costs would count towards her care expenses. If it is in fact an assisted living facility where she requires help with one or more activities of daily living (ADLs) like getting dressed, preparing meals, taking a shower, etc. then the cost would count towards the A&A benefit application.

You would show any ongoing care expenses. For example, if she lives in an ALF but also has a rehab nurse come in once a week to help her - that would count as an expense towards the A&A benefit as well. Any care that is ongoing.

Also if you are looking for any guidance as to how to start your assisted living search, please use our page here. They will connect you with a local care advisor who has a lot of experience in your mother's area when it comes to helping folks move into an assisted living facility and it's completely free to you and your family.

http://www.veteranaid.org/seniorcare.php