All the help we

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Edna, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Edna

Edna Newbie

This is my first time posting and I am looking for help to help my mother. My mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimer and I need to get her into a assisted living or a memory center. I was told to apply for Aid and Attendance to get help,is there a list of facilities for assisted living and or memory centers that are part of Aid and Attendance benefits? My mother receives my father social security and that is it,I'm applying for Veteran death benefits also, can she receive both benefits? Or is it like social security where we had too chose one over the other?
    The base pay for either facility is $4500 a month , it does cover everything except laundry.I need to make sure I am on the correct path.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

The Aid and Attendance benefit is also called the "death pension", so that might be what you are talking about with receiving both the veteran death benefits and A&A? Your mother can also receive SS with the A&A benefit.

Sounds like you're on the right path! Do you know for sure that your mother is eligible based on your father's service time? He would have had to have served during an approved period of war for this benefit. This calculator quiz has that information on it and asks you the basic questions you would need to know if your mother qualified: http://www.veteranaid.org/aid-and-attendance-eligibility.php

As for how to apply, I highly recommend you read through this page here: http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

For senior assisted living options for your mother, you can use SeniorAdvisor.com for a free search for options in her area. They have ratings and reviews of assisted living communities in her area.

3. Edna

Edna Newbie

He served from 01/1946-03/1947, I think he served during time required.

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

It seems like he is. The time period for WWII for required service for the A&A benefit is December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946, extended to July 25, 1947, where continuous with active duty on or before December 31, 1946