4 yrs of trying to get Aid and Attendance Benefits for my mother

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by andypitt, Apr 23, 2017.

1. andypitt

andypitt Newbie

After trying to get Aid and Attendance benefits the last 4 years, for my 92 yr old mother, I have concluded that the VA does not want to award these benefits by making it has difficult as possible to get them. My mother is in a nursing home with minimal assets and very little income. She pays $8,000 per month for the nursing home. Yet the VA takes so long to evaluate claims that on my last filing (3rd updated claim) which took almost a year to evaluate, they asked for us to file the same forms all over again that we originally submitted. By the way I asked for expedited service twice.

Does anyone in this forum know the phone no. of the Office of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs? I don't want call center #s and I am through with that. I want to talk to someone in real authority.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

andypitt, I'm going to send you a personal message. This is awful, though!

3. Kaylin

Just out of curiosity for everyone, though: what was the reason the VA wanted to have you resubmit all of the forms again? And what were you having to send them that they requested before?

4. andypitt

andypitt Newbie

Good news. I got a call today from a VA supervisor in Philadelphia informing me that my mother will be getting benefits. I have to fill out a small amount of additional info but that's it. We'll be getting paid back to the date of the current filing but I will be asking them to reevalutate the claim from the original filing of Dec 2012!!

AghelpingMom and Kaylin like this.
  5. Kaylin

Oh that's awesome! Good timing!