Will Medi-cal (medicaid) application affect dad's A&A?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Ken

Ken Newbie

Thanks to veteranaid.org, my father-in-law has been getting A&A and residing in a nice assisted living home for the past year and half. Unfortunately, now his condition is deteriorating and he has been in the VA hospital for the past two weeks. The VA is planning to discharge him to a nearby nursing home on a 30-day VA contract. There is a chance that he will not get well enough to return to his assisted living home (but we hope that he will). The VA social worker told me that I have to apply for my father-in-law to get Medi-Cal (medicaid), so that it can pick up the nursing home cost ($6,000 per month!) after the 30 day VA contract ends. The VA even made me sign a form promising to apply for him to get Medi-Cal.

I'm very worried about doing this. What are the ramifications? The research I did indicates that Medi-Cal counts his A&A benefit as income. However, it appears that if he gets Medi-Cal, his A&A will automatically drop to $90 per month (so basically it will be gone). So the income that Medi-Cal figured into his benefit will no longer exist... What the heck??? Do I then have to reapply for an increased Medi-Cal benefit after the A&A drops?

Then what happens if he is better in 30 days and can return to his assisted living? He won't have the A&A to pay for it...

This whole thing is making me crazy. Someone PLEASE help! I need some sound advice.

Thanks in advance. -Ken

2. Ken

Ken Newbie

Anybody?

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Ken,

Did you get my message on contacting someone at Medi-cal?

4. Ken

Ken Newbie

I didn't get any message. If contacting someone at medi-cal is anything like contacting someone at the VA, I don't have very high hopes of finding someone who knows anything...

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Ken,

Each state has different laws on how they view this income. What applies in one state, won't in another, which is why I suggest you contact them to see what their position is on the income.

I have however never heard of the VA making someone sign stating they will make the application to the state for Medicaid/ Medi-Cal.

Given the expense of the nursing home, obviously A&A cannot cover that expense, so you need to look at which is going to be in his best interest long term.

Wishing you the best with reaching someone who is knowledgeable and will take the time to help you through the process.

Let us know how it turns out.

6. Ken

Ken Newbie

Thanks for your response. The thing with the VA hospital making me sign a form promising to apply for Medi-Cal was weird. I was (am) afraid that it is some kind of scheme for the VA hospital to get out of providing some benefit to him. They claimed that the form is required whenever the VA sends someone to a nursing home on a 32-day VA contract (which they said can only be done once per year). The VA hospital social worker indicated that if my father-in-law ends up back in the VA hospital, I will have to show proof that he got Medi-Cal or that he was denied (in which case I would have to produce a denial letter). I can't imagine what the consequence would be if I decided not to apply... What are they going to do, wheel his gurney out to the sidewalk??? ;)