Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David m, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. David m

    David m Newbie

    My 93 year old father just moved into an ILF that has an in house emergency call system. And we have started in house care for him as he needs assistance with some aspects of his daily living (med reminders and bathing).

    He is still listed on the house title as joint owner with my wife and I, but as most houses are nowadays we are underwater with the value vs the mortgage. Will this be a detriment to my father's application? He owns no cars and the house is the only asset of worth.

    I'm sorting out all of the paperwork and am finding it a daunting task.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Independent Properties are not licensed care facilities, so the VA more than likely is not going to allow for his rent there. What they will count is whatever he is paying for outside services to come in. They do not allow for the in-house emergency call system as when they respond all they will do is dial 911 and will not administer any medical attention. In fact they won't even touch him.

    Unless the house sells, don't worry about it.

Share This Page