WHen to check on status of expedited claim?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caroliso, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

I sent my application in on May 16 and I didn't get my receipt back so went online as USPS to check on status. The app was just delivered Friday June 3!! Yikes, if I'd known it would take that long I would have spent the extra $$ on Fedex. It must have been caught up in the holiday rush.

Anyway, I stated in my cover letter that I was requested an expedited review since my dad is 94. Obviously I know now is too soon to check but as you can imagine the clock is ticking in my head. Do I need to wait the advised 3 months to check in on an expedited review claim?
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Sad to say at a minimum, yes to at least 3 months.
  3. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

okay, will do. thanks.
  4. Max

Max Hero Member

If he is 94, it should be done before that unless there were missing components.
  5. Caroliso

Caroliso Jr. Member

Wonderful news to report here.

VA received my claim on June 3.

On June 10 I received a call. I returned it this morning and they are expediting due to my dad's age (94). They need a statement from the caregiver regarding expenses paid to her, which I will email tomorrow. They also offered a suggestion to expedite the fiduciary review, and that is to have my dad submit a letter waiving his rights to due process (which includes 60 day notice) on the incompetency determination so they can proceed with the assignment of a fiduciary. The rep gave me suggested language to include in the letter.

If I get these in in the next few days (which I will) my claim will go before the review board with all information necessary to 1) award the claim and determine the amount for a July 1 payment date (that's for the ongoing payments) and 2) begin the process of establishing fiduciary (that's for the retroactive reimbursement).

Excellent news, isn't it? Thanks so much for the help I've received on this forum, and cross your fingers that the rest goes through as expected.

If I had to do it over I would have fed-ex'd the application because the loss of 10 days in the mail made the difference between having the claim approved for June 1 and July 1, which given my dad's continued decline in health would have at the very least eased my mind. But that is a small thing...
  6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Wonderful news to report indeed, and so glad that you got someone so willing to help you.

Fingers crossed and we look forward to hearing the final news of award being made.

Glad we could be here for you.