What to do with an inheritance

Discussion in 'Countable Income' started by chrstna446, Dec 5, 2016.

  1. chrstna446

    chrstna446 Newbie

    My parents have both been receiving the Aid & Attendance benefit for a few years. I am the fiduciary and we pay my sister to care for both my parents who have dementia. Last week we received a letter informing us that my mother will be receiving about $50,000 as an inheritance. My understanding is that this money is considered income. How and when do we report it?

    Also, the day after receiving the letter my mother fell and spent several days in the hospital. She is home and we have hired in-home healthcare. It is very expensive. We need additional help beyond just my sister. How my mother improves will dictate how much additional help we will need, but the reality more help will be needed than what we had last week.

    My intent is to utilize the inheritance for my mother's care. How does this factor into the scenario?

    Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    The best thing to do is to send a Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 with any bank statements or additional paperwork that show your mother's $50,000 inheritance coming to her. You can also submit an updated contract with whatever caregiver company you choose to go with that shows her increase in expenses of care. Just make sure you clearly indicate that your mother's care expenses have increased as well as the $50,000 assets.
  3. chrstna446

    chrstna446 Newbie

    Thank you for the response. The inheritance will not come until early next year, so I assume I do not need to do anything until after it is received.

    We are incurring significantly more cost to care for my mom at home at the moment. We are on a day to day basis for the extra care and I am hoping to minimize the cost as we go along, but the reality is we are going to be paying a great deal more for the extra care. My parents have any award or $1,971 so I assume there may a little bit of room for an increase. Would the VA recognize the extra expense, even though a regular cost has not yet been established?
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    If you can show that the monthly cost of care for your parents is going up (bank statements, care contracts, assisted living facility contracts, etc.) then the VA should recognize it. As long as it's an ongoing expense.

Share This Page