What is type of claim to list on Form 21-534EZ

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by AghelpingMom, Mar 22, 2017.

1. AghelpingMom

AghelpingMom Newbie

In completing the 21-534EZ form for my Mother to get Aid & Attendance, I don't know what box to check for question 16 (What are you claiming?). Is it DIC or Death Pension or Accured Benefits. Sorry if this has been asked a bunch...I searched and couldn't find it.

Also, because my Mom is in an ALF, does the facility have a specific form to complete?

thank you!

2. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hi AghelpingMom,
    Welcome! To answer your questions:

--You are applying for "Death Pension" when applying for Aid & Attendance.

--You will need a Nursing Home Status Statement (just mark through every instance of Nursing Home and write Assisted Living Facility or ALF above it). A list including this and other required documents can be found on the veteranaid.org site here: http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

I understand a Statement of Occupancy from the ALF is also needed (to be honest, I'm not sure why--much of the info in such a Statement seems to overlap with the Nursing Home Status Statement I just linked to). But in any event, ask you mother's ALF about it. In my case, my father's ALF is small and in a small town, so they didn't have this type of form on file. As a result, I drafted & typed one myself for the ALF director to review, sign & date. I had no problem or question from the VA about this approach.

[ *** One note here for Kaylin or others in the know: is the Nursing Home Status Statement linked to above now considered the replacement document for VA 21-0779? I notice that page 1 of both A&A applications (21-527EZ and 21-534EZ) still refer to the need to submit 21-0779. ]

AghelpingMom, good luck and keep us posted as you work your way through the process!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Kaylin likes this.
  3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

The 21-0779 can be used in place of the Nursing Home Status Statement but both will get you the same place. Thanks for asking! Good question!

4. AghelpingMom

AghelpingMom Newbie

Thanks Very much!

Kaylin likes this.
  5. AghelpingMom

AghelpingMom Newbie

Thank you for your help!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You're welcome!