What happens when the application reaches the ratings officer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LaurieG, Dec 26, 2010.

1. LaurieG

LaurieG Newbie

Hi,

What should we expect when a claim passes the financial part and then reaches the ratings officer? That's the status of my mother's A & A application right now.

I was visiting my mother last week, and we got a phone call from the VA on the answering machine. The message cut off before we could get a phone number. I called the congressman's office that is helping my mother, and they couldn't tell me who to call or what, possibly, the phone cal was about.

Although I realize nobody can answer my specific question about the phone call above, what, in general, happens from this point onward?

My mother lives in FL so the claim is going through the Philly office.

Thanks -

Laurie

2. AngelaManz

AngelaManz Jr. Member

From my dealings with the VA, here is the process:

Phase One - Notification board. This is where the claimant gets the letter that says that their claim has been received and is being processed.

Phase Two - Ratings board. This is where the VA determines whether the claimant may be rated for housebound or A&A. The last time I spoke with the VA, I was told that applications in this stage are supposed to take 30 days.

Phase Three - Development board. This is where the VA determines whether the claimant meets the income, medical expense and asset requirements. I have been told applications are supposed to take 16-27 days in this stage.

Phase Four - Decision board. A decision on the claim is made.

Phase Five - Notification. Claimant is notified about their application.

Again, these are just my notes from calling the VA for the last few years. I work with the Philadelphia processing center, so other locations may be different. Also, it's the government and I have no way to know if what they are telling me is correct, so please take it with a grain of salt. But hopefully this will help.
    Also, if you don't give the VA all of the information they want when you submit the application, then any requests for supplemental documentation will make the process take longer.

3. LaurieG

LaurieG Newbie

Thanks, Angela. It turns out that I don't know the status of my mother's claim. However, the rep from the company that filed the claim told me that if the claim has gone to the ratings board, it means that she has passed the financial part. It seems like your timeline indicates the opposite.

Right now, my mother's claim is being transferred (I hope) from St. Paul to Philly. Long story --- under the post "one step forward, ten steps back."

Again, thanks for your post.

LaurieG

4. AngelaManz

AngelaManz Jr. Member

I'm glad to help. I called the VA this morning for a client and asked again about their process and was told something a little different than last time (no surprise). But it's seems to agree with what you were told. Here are my notes:

Development Phase (longest phase) 102-139 days
    This is where they receive the application, request for any additional information

Rating Phase
    This is where they propose a decision 16 – 27 days

Notification Phase 10-40 days
    This is where they review the case to make sure there are no mistakes. If a mistake is found it takes longer because it has to go back and be fixed. If there are no mistakes the claim gets signed off and goes to the finances department and then the veteran is notified. If the claim is denied it does not go to the finance department it goes straight to the veteran for notification.

5. jpez

jpez Full Member

I know that this issue has been brought up before but it is always important to remember:

1. In the very initial DEVELOPMENT Phase, there are 2 paths:
    a) Compensation -service related and
    b) Pension - nonservice related

Our focus and goal is to move down path 'b' Pension. This is why when vets call the VA, they are told they have to be on PENSION before they can recieve A&A.
    Elegibility for Pension is determined first.
    a. over 65
    b. correct service period
    c. better than dishonorable discharge

Being eligible and granted PENSION (100% non-service related disability) in and of itself does not generate any monthly award. THe Vet then has to recieve a RATING either HOMEBOUND or A&A.

Once the eligibility for pension is 'granted' (understand that this is happening just by reviewing the docs and the vet is not notified) , then there is the determination of the rating HOMEBOUND and AID&ATTENDANCE.
    The rating is determined by the DOCTOR Form 21-2680.

THEN the va looks at gross income less medical and care expenses and if the net income is less then the Max award, they will generate an award.

6. LaurieG

LaurieG Newbie

Jpez,

Thanks for your details on this.

LaurieG