Was I Given the Right Advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hawaii, Apr 17, 2014.

  1. hawaii

    hawaii Newbie

    My mom already receives monthly dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC) payments. She now has dementia and will be entering an assisted living facility. My understanding is that her monthly payment can be increased by about $300 for aid and attendance.

    I called the VA and was told that to request this increase I should forward Form 21-0845 (Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party) and Form 21-2680 (Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance) along with a letter explaining what is being requested.

    Upon looking at Form 21-0845, I notice that it says it can not be signed by a beneficiary that is recognized as incompetent for VA purposes. VA doesn't currently deem Mom incompetent, but presumably will once they see the doctor's report. Do you think they will reject Form 21-0845?

    Thanks for any insight you can provide.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Until the VA makes the ruling of incompetency, you don't have to deal with that. She has to sign everything. On the 21-0845, that is simply her appointing you as her Approved 3rd Party for the VA to disclose information to you.

    Once they make the ruling of incompetency, you will have to go through the Fiduciary process as the VA does not recognize POA.
  3. hawaii

    hawaii Newbie

    Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that would be the answer.
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    You're welcome!

Share This Page