Veterans War Home and A&A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DisArmed, Feb 11, 2014.

1. DisArmed

DisArmed Newbie

I applied for A&A 2 months ago for my father who is 86 years old. He was living with us, but had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital due to major deterioration in mental status.The psychiatric hospital was able to have him admitted to a veterans war home in our state. Is he still eligible to receive A&A? He has no savings to cover the cost of the home and still owes on his home (1100.00 mo house note). Even with his pensions it will not be enough to cover the cost.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

As a rule of thumb, if he is in a VA State Home, they will apply for A&A, and the funds will go to them.

Unfortunately, the mortgage on his home is not a medical deduction, and this pension is not intended to pay personal bills.

You may want to look into doing something with the home since it appears he will not be able to return to it.

3. DisArmed

DisArmed Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I figured that was probably the case. Unfortunately, my dad let his home run down so bad that we are trying to fix it enough to sell as is and we will not get anything near what it would have been worth if he had properly maintained the home. It's just a bad situation no matter how we look at it! Since I am the only surviving person in his family (mom died in 2004 and my only sibling died 20 years ago in a car accident) all of this has landed on my shoulders. It has been very overwhelming as I am also disabled and limited both physically and financially on what I can do. However, I am so thankful he was accepted so quickly to the veterans war home!

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm sorry that the news was not better for you, and that this is such a difficult time and so overwhelming.

All of this is difficult enough and when it all falls on one person with no one else to share the responsibility, it can be too much. We hope that you can find some solutions for the house, and the blessing is that your Dad did get in, and that his needs are being met.