veteran's spouse in nursing home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rspease, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rspease

rspease Newbie

I am trying to find help for my parents. My father is a WWII veteran (87 years old and in failing health) and is currently the primary care-giver for my mother who has advanced alzheimer's disease. Her level of care far exceeds my father's ability, but he cannot afford to put her into a nursing home. He cannot qualify for medicaid because he owns a farm which has been in the family for generations as well as his home. He would like to put the farm in a trust, but the "look back" time for medicaid would be a problem. My questions is this; can he qualify for aid and attendance when it is his spouse who needs the nursing home? All I see in the examples is if the veteran or the "surviving" spouse needs the nursing home. BTW, my father really needs assistance too, but he doesn't want to admit it. He has congestive heart failure.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

A well veteran with a sick spouse whose medical expenses completely wipes out their combined monthly income can file as a vet with ill spouse and be eligible for $1338 a month.

3. rspease

rspease Newbie

Thank you so much. Would that be the basic pension or aid and attendance?

4. vetadmin

It is covered under the "Improved Pension" and not really sure how the VA counts it as far as being Basic or a portion of A&A.

5. snuffysmith

snuffysmith Newbie

So, when you say that the medical expenses of the sick spouse have to "completely" wipe out their monthly income, do you mean that literally? Can it just seriously diminish it?

6. vetadmin

It needs to basically zero it out.

7. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

To qualify for the full $1383, the medical expenses must zero out income, but wouldn't they qualify for a partial award, if the expenses don't completely zero out income?

I know my dad is receiving a partial award because his expenses don't quite zero out his income, but maybe that only applies if the veteran is the one in need of care?

8. vetadmin

A partial award can be made in the event of the veteran filing or a veteran with spouse.