veteran with sick spouse option

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmorgan, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. cmorgan

    cmorgan Newbie

    My father is the vet. My mother is an invalid needing to move to an assisted living facility. My question is with regard to the $80,000 asset limit. Do we count their combined assets or just hers?
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Most important question here is:

    Does your Mom's medical expenses completely deplete their combined monthly income? If yes, then your Dad can file as a vet with an ill spouse and be eligible for $1338 a month since he himself does not require the A&A of another person.

    Yes both incomes have to be divulged as well as assets.

    Just be sure you have a full understanding of how this works when it is not the veteran in need of services. It is not quite the same as the the process for a veteran in need.
  3. debbielea

    debbielea Newbie

    Can you count the sick spouses Assisted Living cost as medical costs? Example, my mom is the "sick spouse". Her medical costs do not deplete their income as it is paid for by medicare and supplemental insurance, but her Assisted Living care is almost $5,000 per month. Can we count this as medical costs?
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Mom's care cost would have to deplete their combined monthly income in order for Dad to be able to files as a vet with an ill spouse.

    You can count her ALF as a medical expense, but if she has other sources to help offset or pay for her care, then she cannot claim what is being paid by another resource. You can only claim any amounts that are not covered, and they are having to make up the difference.
  5. debbielea

    debbielea Newbie

    OK, I think I understand but let me make sure. Her ordinary medical expenses are paid for by Medicare and supplemental insurance, but her ALF which costs $4,322. per month, is paid for by their monthly income which totals $5,000. So it almost depletes it, but there is about $600 left over.

    However, my dad is also living at the same facility as my mom, but he is in "Senior Independent" apartment, which costs $1,300 per month, so after paying for my mom, he does not have enough income to pay for his own living expenses in the independent apartment.

    Based on this is it worth our while to put in an application?

    Also note, They have placed their home in a Revocable Trust. Do they have to count this as income ?(your sites says to count "trusts as income).
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Since the money is so close, I don't think you have anything but time to lose by making application to see what the VA would take into consideration for award. Especially since he is left without enough to cover his own expenses.

    The other thing to take into consideration is by making applicaiton, he will be in the system, and should things change for him physically in the next year, it would be a lot simplier to update his status as filing as a veteran with spouse for the full award.

    The house does not count as an asset. If they sell it, or rent it out for income that would have to be disclosed.

    You should look at the Tips and Resource tab here on the forums for the "countable income" formula for some additional insights.
  7. debbielea

    debbielea Newbie

    Thanks so much. I will go ahead w/the app. What you say makes perfect sense. Yes, I did look at the tips for countable income and perhaps once I do the math, his case may be even better. My mom does have some medical expenses not paid for such as perscription co-pays. I haven't gotten those figures yet, so that will help too. This website is a real blessing. Thank you for the work you do. It is greatly appreciated. I will be making a donation.
  8. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Thank you!
  9. debbielea

    debbielea Newbie

    One other question re: "sick spouse". Will we need my Mom's "Assisted Living" facility to fill out the Nursing Home form? (it is NOT a nursing home, technically it is "assisted living", and if so, will they have to say her condition is permenant?

    The reason I ask the question is that she just was put in assisted living this week, and their stated goal is to get her better so she can return to Senior Independent Living. I'm not at all sure she will ever be able to go back to Sr. Independent Living as she is very ill, but I'm thinking they may not want to say it is "permenant" yet. She does have "permenant" medical diagnoses which includes Congestive Heart Failure, which -2680 statement will verrify. Should I wait to file until the Assisted Living facility says she is "permenant" or file the initial 1 page form to get their case started, then wait to see if it is "permenant", or should I just hold off doing anything until we get a clearer picture of where she is at as far as being able to improve enough medically to go back to Independent living?
  10. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    If you think that there is any real clear reason to beleive she will return to independent, then you may want to wait and guage that.

    If you believe that the congestive heart situation will keep her on the assisted side do it now.

    Just get a Statment of Occupancy from the facility. They have to show her as a resident there and the amount of costs. They do not say it is limited or short-term, just that she is a resident of the facility and the date she moved in.

Share This Page