Veteran on A&A with Disabled Spouse

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by Maven, Dec 14, 2017.

  1. Maven

    Maven Jr. Member

    Can a vet receiving the maximum A&A apply for any additional benefits for his spouse once she becomes disabled?

    They are both living at home and committed to staying there since they are young, 71 and 58.She was taking care of him herself and has now become disabled, needs help for herself as well as him.

    I should add that the wife does not qualify for Social Security disability benefits because she does not have enough credits in the SS system.

    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Yes, that is correct. You will have to send in a cover letter explaining what you are seeking (Aid and Attendance for a veteran with a spouse) with an updated application to the VA with updated care expenses and income (if that has changed) the spouse of the veteran is now adding to the mix. So you would have the expenses and income showing for the two of them.
  3. Maven

    Maven Jr. Member

    OK Thank you. So what exactly needs to be sent to the VA along with the cover letter, a Form 21-2680 detailing the medical condition for the wife?

    A Form 21-527 listing the expenses the husband is paying for the wife?

    They actually need a full time home health caregiver and can't afford it presently.Do they have to show the VA that they are already paying for that in order for their claim to get approved? That will just about deplete all their income.

    Thanks again
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Unfortunatly that is the catch with this benefit - many are applying for it because they can't afford care but you have to be paying for care in order to even apply. It sucks, but that is how the application process works in order to get approved.

    I would recommend you send in the cover letter, the 21-527EZ with updated info, a Physician's Statement for the spouse of veteran, and any supporting bank statements or receipts that show the cost of care. At least one month of bank statements that show the increase in cost of care is highly recommended.
  5. Maven

    Maven Jr. Member

    Ok so even though the husband is currently receiving A&A, Form 21-527EZ should be sent in again? With all sections filled out?
  6. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Well, now that I think about it some more I think your best bet would be to send in an updated medical expense report rather than putting the updated expenses on the 21-527EZ. Sorry for the confusion! This is the most up to date medical expense report from the VA that I could find and it has instructions on there:

    But definitely include the cover letter AND I would recommend a 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim that explain what exactly you are asking for in regards to increasing the A&A benefit for your father and mother both now that she requires senior care.
  7. Maven

    Maven Jr. Member

    Ok thanks for the clarification. On the Medical Expense form would the wife be the Claimant? Not sure about that since the veteran is actually making the claim for wife.

    Thanks again. Couldn't do it without the help here!
    Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    These applications are always tied back to the veteran, therefore I would list the veteran as the claimant. Best of luck! And you're welcome!
  9. VA Legal Team

    VA Legal Team Full Member

    If a married vereran is receiving the max benefit based on the veteran’s cost of care then, unfortunately, the VA will not increase the benefit just because the spouse now pays for care. Since the married veteran was already receiving the max benefit, I wouldn’t expect additional benefits if it was the veteran that required assistance.

Share This Page