VA needing additional evidence on expense I listed

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by sfb52, Mar 24, 2015.

1. sfb52

sfb52 Newbie

In my initial application for my mother, as a spouse of a veteran, I must not have given them enough information on an expense I listed. I received a questionnaire, for the facility she will be moving into in a week, to fill out and return to the VA. A statement in the letter from VA states "You reported expenses paid to an in-home care provider or care facility. In order to use these expenses to reduce your income, we need verification from your care provider regarding the care you are receiving and the expenses you are paying. Answer the following questions…"

The letter also said "They can also be answered on the enclosed VA Form 21-4138 (Statement in Support of Claim)."

Is this standard practice for the VA to send this to others applying the benefits?

Your thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Best thing to do is reply and include a copy of whatever you submitted showing her expenses for home care if that is the case.

If you submitted the application prior to her having any services, you will have to wait until she is in the ALF.

There is nothing unusual about this.