VA letter ? - Request for outpatient treatment or drugs & medicines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caregiverx2, Apr 4, 2011.

1. caregiverx2

caregiverx2 Newbie

We received letter (title above) while waiting for Award letter?

Says you are entitled to needed outpatient care including drugs & medicines from the VA for treatment ....... as long as you are receiving increased pension or compensation, based on need of regular aid & attendance.

Gives option at bottom of letter....
    __ I wish to apply for outpatient treatment (includes drugs & medicines)

__ I wish to receive drugs & medicines from the VA Pharmacy for treatment provided at other than VA expense.

Has anyone received this form letter?

Dad is in final stages of bone cancer & I hate to make any changes to his care or pharmacy.

while it appears to be an you think it will come back to haunt us if we don't elect?

2. new57

new57 Newbie

I received this letter last year for my father.

i did some research and here is what you will need to do. You will have to take him to a va health care center center to get him enrolled. Because he is receiving A&A he will be enrolled in priority group 4 without having to be means tested.

Now once you see their doctors and they concur with the drugs any private physician prescribes you can pay like 6 or 8 dollars per prescription. The reason i chose not to enroll my father and use medicare part d (and actually fall into the doughnut hole) instead, is because i looked at the va drug formulary and most of his big ticket drugs either were not on the list or had to be approved on a case by case basis.

so i just decided it was not worth the hassle.

and no, it will not come back to haunt you.

p.s. i think what i stated is correct; if anything is not someone please chime in :)
  3. vbcoder

vbcoder Jr. Member

This is another route to take. Get approved by the VA as new57 suggested and then get the meds that they approve from
    them and the others from Medicare or other coverage.DO NOT GET THE SAME MEDS FROM BOTH. You do not have to choose
    one or the other, you can get medical treatment and meds from both.

Depending on the Vets financial status, there may be no co-pay from the VA for meds and medical treatment.

P.S. Priority Group 4 means no co-pay.
  4. AnnieN

AnnieN Newbie

I get meds for my mother (the veteran) from both medicare part d and the VA. The expensive ones are covered by the VA but I have to take her to see a VA doctor twice a year to get them. I don't know if I can keep that up as she has serious dementia and it is a two-hour drive. Anyway, her VA medical priority rating is a 7. I was interested to see the comment that since she is approved for A&A she could be a medical priority rating of 4. Thanks for that info. It might come in handy.
  5. Terry

Terry Newbie

I just received this same letter today for my Dad. Does anyone know where to get the formulary drug list so I can review to see if my Dad's medications are listed on it? Thanks