Time frame for request to be reviewed

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by Rboyer, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Rboyer

Rboyer Newbie

My mother is currently receiving aid and attendance, but a reduced amount since she was receiving in home are. However, back in October she was moved to an assisted living facility and her expenses increased. We sent a letter along with all documentation to the Philadelphia office back in September. And then followed up with paid receipts for each month. It's now four months later and we have heard nothing about the increase. We have called four times but never received a ereturn call, and sent letters certified mail, but still no response. Is it time to get my congressman involved or is this normal.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Rboyer,

We recommend that you at least give the VA 5-6 months. If your mother is in a financial hardship situation and is close to running out of money to pay for her assisted living home due to the VA not increasing her award amount, I would contact your mother's state Senator. If not, I would give it at least another month and then proceed to contact your mother's state Senator. I hope they increase the benefit amount for your mother soon.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Rboyer,

It is my opinion that if there is no increase in her monthly pension due in Feb, you should contact her Senator and have them make an inquiry. Since she was already in the system approved for the benefit, it is only a simple matter of recalculating her monthly expenses. Should not take this long.

4. Rboyer

Rboyer Newbie

So a more general question? Since this request was submitted back in Sept. If and when the do increase my mothers amount, will they include the money for all the back months that the increase was not paid since the request was submitted

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Rboyer,

They should, yes. If your mother's monthly pension should have been a higher amount adjusted for her expenses and the VA approves this adjustment, they should be giving you those accrued benefits from when you submitted the claim in September.