Three Months, Still No Claim Opened - Normal? - UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hawaii, Aug 18, 2014.

1. hawaii

hawaii Newbie

Hi --

It has been three months since I initiated contact with the VA to get an aid & attendance supplement added to my mom's existing VA DIC payment. They acknowledge that my information has been scanned into the system, but the Philadelphia Office has not yet opened an official claim. The national pension hotline folks have sent inquiries to the Philadelphia Office and get no response.

I understand from this web site that this can be a lengthy process, but I was just wondering -- Is 3+ months to even officially open the claim normal?

Thanks.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Re: Three Months, Still No Claim Opened - Normal?

You cannot add A&A to DIC, so you would have to look at which would pay her more.

If you have no correspondence from the VA saying they are in receipt of her application, you need to call and speak with someone, but you really need to consider if giving up her DIC is the best move providing she qualifies for A&A.

3. hawaii

hawaii Newbie

According to the person I spoke to at VA, my mom is entitled to a small ($305.00) bump up in her monthly DIC payment since she is entitled to A&A. That benefit is shown on this VA list of benefits (see note "d" in the section discussing rates when the veteran's death was before January 1, 1993 ). - http://benefits.va.gov/Compensation/current_rates_dic.asp .

The advice I was given by the VA representative was to send a letter to the Philadelphia Office requesting the additional benefit for A&A be added and to enclose Forms 21-0845 and 21-2680. That's what I did 3 months ago.

4. vetadmin

I am not aware of someone receiving an addition to DIC, so it may be something I am not aware of, but have never encountered this in 9 years.

I would again suggest that you contact the VA and make an inquiry about the status of the request for the addition of A&A.

5. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

Hawaii,

You submitted the correct forms. The A&A allowance to DIC is not means tested, so all you need is the 2680. You don't even need to show medical expenses.

6. two.vets.kid

two.vets.kid Newbie

Can someone clarify where to send the A&A request forms for the supplement ($306) to someone already receiving DIC benefits? Not sure if these claims go to the same addresses specified here: http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

Milwaukee Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5400 West National Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53214
    Processes claims for the following states:
    AL, AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, OH, TN, WI

St. Paul Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling
    St. Paul, MN 55111-4050
    AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, MN, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY

Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19101
    CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, PR, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV

My mom is in Texas, so I'm thinking it's the St Paul, MN office? Please confirm, thanks.

7. vetadmin

Yes for the St Paul, MN office.

8. two.vets.kid

two.vets.kid Newbie

Thank you!

9. hawaii

hawaii Newbie

Hi --

I'm the original poster. Just wanted to let you all know that my mom has started receiving the additional $305.52 monthly for aid and attendance in additional to her usual Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) payment. The process took four months.

The increased monthly payment appeared in her checking account today. I understand from VA that a letter in on its way. (Receipt has been delayed, presumably because I recently changed my mother's address with the Postal Service.) I hope that the letter will tell me about becoming her fiduciary and getting the four months of back payments she is due.

10. Max

Max Hero Member

This is incorrect. DIC can definitely have A&A added to you. You cannot add pension to DIC. The DIC rate with A&A is $1,538.75 per month. The rates are published here: http://benefits.va.gov/Compensation/current_rates_dic.asp