Thank you and a new question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeanne68, Sep 29, 2016.

  1. jeanne68

    jeanne68 Newbie

    First, I am ashamed that I never publicly thanked this forum and site! Using the information from this site, I was able to get my dad approved last year - total process time was only 6 weeks! (I submitted a folder with tabs and very good and clear documentation including a table of contents).

    So, THANK YOU.

    Now I have a new question: My dad is now getting a distribution from his IRA (he wasn't when his application was processed and approved). Now, the IRA was shown when his application was processed, he just wasn't taking anything out of it yet. Now he is - monthly.

    They approved him with the full knowledge that he had an IRA, and we had given them his IRA statements showing how much was in the account (not a whole lot, but some yes - but way less than 80K which I probably think is why he was approved I assume?) - but he wasn't actually TAKING a distribution yet, so his income was VERY low. Now that he's getting a distribution, his income has obviously increased (but, the IRA WILL run out of money - it won't last forever, not very long actually at all I don't think).

    Will the fact that he now takes a monthly distribution cause them to cease giving him his A&A benefit?

  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Thank you for the kind words! I'm happy to hear your wait time for the application was so short.

    It really depends on exactly how much he's getting awarded right now in A&A money, how much his monthly income is with and without the IRA, and how much he is spending in care. It's hard for me to say without those details, but what you need to do is just submit a Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 and any supporting documents (like bank statements) showing his new monthly income from the IRA. When the IRA runs out, you can always update the VA again with his monthly income amount.
  3. jeanne68

    jeanne68 Newbie

    So, I need to submit that form you linked to, and just type up the new monthly amount he receives? Additionally, when we filed the original application, we were paying an agency for an aid (still are, actually) but now my brother has ALSO moved in full time, and we are setting him up as a full time contract caregiver (but will need the agency a few hours a week when my brother is not there). Dad just needs more help than we imagined (my mother passed away last year - which is what started all this). I almost feel like I need to re-do the entire application! More $ each month now that he gets a distribution, but more $$ each month now that we are paying my brother to basically take care of him on more of a full time basis.

    The link you gave is just kind of a blank form - do I just, in paragraph style, explain all that I just wrote, and then show the exact amount of the distribution followed by a copy of the contract with my brother?
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Correct. You need to update the VA on this new income per month he is getting. Do not redo the entire application - it's unnecessary.

    Yes, you would include with the 21-4138 exactly what you explained to me with supporting documents like the bank statements and the copy of the contract.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your mother recently.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  5. jeanne68

    jeanne68 Newbie

    I think another option would be to suspend payments, use the IRA to fund aid until it runs out, then reapply?
  6. jeanne68

    jeanne68 Newbie

    I just saw your response (but not until I had typed mine above). Thanks!
    Kaylin likes this.
  7. jeanne68

    jeanne68 Newbie

    One more question. I have filled out that form. Does it have to be mailed to the same place I sent my original application? Or can I fax it somewhere? Or is there a different address to use once an award is in place?

    And can I fill this out or does my dad have to? I made him fill out app last year, but it would be so much easier for me to do it and sign, and use my number (I can answer questions a lot easier than he can. His brain works fine, but since his stroke he can't talk as well).

  8. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Just mail to the address on the most updated correspondence letters you have received from the VA. If you don't have an address from some sort of correspondence from the VA recently, you can also mail to the pension processing center based on where he lives as shown below. Just make sure you mail everything return receipt and keep a copy for your own records!

    Yes, you fill it out for him. If he needs help signing off, please refer to this article I wrote on that subject:

    AL, AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, OH, TN, WI

    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Claims Intake Center
    Attention: Milwaukee Pension Center
    PO Box 5192
    Janesville, WI 53547-5192
    AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, MN, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY

    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Claims Intake Center
    Attention: St. Paul Pension Center
    PO Box 5365
    Janesville, WI 53547-5365
    CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, PR, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV

    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Claims Intake Center
    Attention: Philadelphia Pension Center
    PO Box 5206
    Janesville, WI 53547-5206

Share This Page