Survivors' Pension Cola Adjustment letter 1 and letter 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by afk324, Jan 2, 2019.

1. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Hello, My Mother (97) received a letter dated 12/17/18 that arrived around Christmas. Yeah the letter said she received a raise as of 12/01/2018 payable in her January deposit. Now she received a letter fr0m VA dated 12/01/18 of the increase about 12/28/18 stating again the raise will in Jan Benefit payment. But the letter also stated the her Income level and continuing Medical expenses accepted in the 2016 original application resulting her countable income. Then it states you are responsible to tell us right away, if 1) your Net worth or address changes; 2) you gain or lose a dependent; or 3) you return to Active Duty. Included was page 3 stating that VA Benefits are expected to match various Federal or State agencies records. None of the areas mentioned above changed but her net worth has gone down. She did receive a Cola for her Survivor RRetirement Pension and her continuing Medical expenses increased. Help me. What I should do about these letters? AFK324.

2. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Newbie

Hi @afk324:

Yes, VA Form 21-0187 dated APR 2011 - COMPUTER MATCHING NOTICE - This isn't unusual. No need to worry. The VA checks with several agencies, albeit state or federal to make sure everything is on the up-and-up.

You may, if you wish, submit VA Form 21P-8416 (Medical Expense Report - https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21p-8416-are.pdf) outlining your mother's decrease in net worth (whatever it may be), as well as the increase in medical expenses. Explain why in VA Form 21-4138 (https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-4138-are.pdf).

Mail it to the Pension Management Center (PMC) in your area. This can be found here: https://www.benefits.va.gov/PENSION/resources-contact.asp.

I'm not entirely sure about your current situation, but if the continuing medical expense seems correct, then no action is required on you or the claimant's part.

3. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

There is no need to update the Va on declining Net worth. If net worth increased, income increased, medical expenses decreased, claimant moved or sold a house, then you need to update them - other than that, do not contact them. When you contact them, they open the file and review to see if they have made any mistakes, so my advise is notify them when you are supposed to and otherwise, leave them alone :)

4. scofield

scofield Newbie

My mom has the pension for aid and attendance since 2016. She received a notice saying that her social security raise is causing an overpayment and they will adjust or stop her benefits and we will have to payback the overpayment. Her social security only goes up a little and then the amount she pays for Medicaid goes up and she gets only a small raise. Do I file a financial status report because there isn't a space to show paying a caregiver or medical expenses. Do I show an increase in unreimbursed medical to offset this? If so do I just show the increased amounts or do I have to show the calculations for everything that reduces her income? Worried about the amount.

5. ARNGUS

ARNGUS Newbie

If you're an in-home attendant (caregiver), use VA Form 21P-8416 to report an increase in your mother's Unreimbursed Medical Expenses. Everything on there should be self-explanatory. If they asked for a copy of her Social Security statement, then provide them with one. Tell them what paperwork is included on VA Form 21-4138.

Have her sign and date both forms. Mail all documentation to your appropriate Claims Intake Center. If additional evidence is needed, the VA will let you know.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. scofield

scofield Newbie

That clears things up. Your quick response is truly appreciated.