Success story

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Farkle, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Farkle

Farkle Newbie

I have to say a big thank you to Kaylin and the dedicated persons who post on this forum giving hints and knowledge so that I, and many others, are able to push forward in our applications for A & A for our loved family members. After reading through this whole forum months ago, I felt confident enough to proceed with my application for A & A for my 88 year old mother who is living in assisted living. I never would have been able to handle this without the knowledge I received from this forum and I followed the instructions and guidance here very closely....and it worked. I sent in my Intent to File at the end of May 2016 and sent in my entire application packet end of August 2016. Today I received in the mail the ruling that my mother will receive the maximum A & A benefit with back pay to June 1, 2016. I cannot thank you enough. The help you give on this forum is allowing so many people to achieve benefits they otherwise wouldn't get. Keep up the good work and God Bless You.
    Patricia Reisen and Kaylin like this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Thank you so much for your kind words, Farkle. My day is made. :) I'm glad you were able to get the A&A benefit for your mother! Excellent news. Thank you for sharing your success story.
  3. I would like to second that. I used the information found on this site, especially yours Kaylin, to apply directly to the VA for my parent (after trying to get it done through our VSO turned out to be problematic, especially due to transportation issues and long waits in their lobby - we never did get to the submission point). I called the VA for telephone help on how to do this on my own, they were very helpful. After I submitted the application directly it took only three months to be approved, which surprised me because my parent was under 90 years of age. But that may be due to the physician's statements and/or the fact that our application was about as simple and straightforward as probably any of them are - very low income, no assets, no facility care, no extensive medical bills and so on. I've only just now become a member here because there's one more question I may have, but will wait to hear from the VA first as it may be unnecessary to ask it. Thank you Kaylin!
    Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

You are most welcome, Patricia! Glad I could be of help!
  5. I left out the word "also" in my third sentence - it should have read "I ALSO called the VA for telephone help..." - I had it done with the information I'd learned already, but my parent was physically unable to sign. So I called the VA, and they told me how to write up the "witnesses to signature" statement that needed to be attached to each document for which the mark was made on a signature line. When I have just one last concern sorted out, I will post a full success story in the correct section which acknowledges the founder of this site; as helpful as Kaylin's posts are there are others to thank too!
    Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Thank you, Patricia. :)