Social Security Letter

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Kaiya, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

I am applying for my father who is a WWII veteran, and one of the documents that this forum recommends sending with the application is the Social Security benefit letter. I cannot locate it and wonder what my options are. My father's benefit is automatically deposited into his bank account and there is a reference on the bank statement that the funds are from Social Security. I do not know what the Medicare deduction amount is. Is it a standard amount? If so, how much is it and could I put that amount in the Medical Expenses section of the application? Is the deposit showing on the bank statement sufficient proof of the Social Security benefit?

If the letter is absolutely necessary, how can I get a duplicate letter sent to me as quickly as possible?

I appreciate your help in this matter. Thank you.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

If you don't have the SS benefit letter, that should be okay. As long as it's clearly indicated on his bank statements - that should be fine. The Medicare deduction amount is not really something I can advise you on as that is a case by case basis. I would contact whoever you need to with help answering that Medicare question.

It looks like you can also request a copy of the SS benefit letter here: https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?QuestionID=3705