Similar Claim different Outcome so far

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by maralina1, Jul 2, 2011.

1. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

By letter, I mean correspondence. They stated they need more more info in order to adjust the amount of VA check. They need an expense report from May to present. They also need the info on me that I explained earlier. It says no deductionn can be permitted if the attendant provides free services. If you would like to claim fees paid to attendant, receipts or documentation are required. I did include a statement with application saying I am the caregiver, what I do, that I have been since June 2010, what I make, hours per week, dated and signed by both parents and myself.

2. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Forgot to add," In order for us to accept expenses, please submit a signed statement from your attendant explaining what they receive as payment for your care that also includes all the info listed above(see previous post). He/she must also indicate date of hire. We received the statement submitted by your daughter Maralina, however you did not provide proof of payment."
    Is this the norm? As I said before, I only have cancelled checks from April on. I was payed cash that my parents had that is now depleted.

3. Max

Max Hero Member

Submit the cancelled checks or bank statements. That is probably the easiest way to prove payment. VA can be wary about accepting expenses paid to family members for care since, in many cases, the family members do not actually receive payment.

4. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

What about the cash payments before April? Should I again submit a statement on my letterhead, saying when I was hired, what I have been paid? Will this be acceptable or should my parents forget about recovering any of that money? Also, what do we do with the statement of claim that was sent?

5. Max

Max Hero Member

I would go with the cancelled checks and explain the cash payments in an accompanying statement.

6. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

You need to wait until you get the letter to see what they are asking for - it won't be anything to difficult, like you said, you have the cancelled checks if need be.

7. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. I just don't want to screw up the claim. My Dad' s condition is getting worse. He was in the hospital in June because of a fall. He is developing what they call "gait Aprexia". Also. he is up almost everynight trying to wander around. I sleep on the couch so I can be up with him. I have two sisiter's that live nearby so they help as much as they can. My Dad still has his good days and enjoys daily visits from his children and grandchildren. I just hope he continues to be able to walk.

8. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Included with the letter received from the VA are a Medical Expense Report, Starment in Support of Claim, and the VCAA Notice Response.
    The Med. Expense report is from May to present. I will submit a letter for the cash payments. We will check the VCAA form to have claim decided as soon as possible. What do we do with Statement in Support of Claim form?

9. Max

Max Hero Member

Statement in Support of Claim is just to provide a statement if you want to. You don't need to put anything on it, but it is just there if you want to write something on it.

10. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

We faxed all requested info on 7/26. (Statemtent in Support of Claim, updated Med. Expense Report, cancelled checks, statement form from myself, VCAA form)

My mother called today to see if they were received and progress. She was told info was received and rating board was reveiwing it. She was told if any more info is needed, she would receive a letter. If no info is needed, decision should be made within 16 days.

Does this sound correct? Why can't they call if they need more info? The time before this my mom was told my dad and been rated and claim was in the very final stage.

I hope this does not go on forever.

11. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Forgot to add this info: The letter we received requesting more info said " More info is needed to adjust the amount of your reward." Listed with enclosures sent were form 21=4138, form 21-8416, VSO Information, VCAA form, What the evidence must show-NSC live pension,What the evidence must show-SMP.

Do you think claim was approved and they are deciding on reward amount? What doed NSC live pension mean?

12. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

UPDATE: When my mother called the VA pension line today she was told pension was in review in the rating board and they would send a letter if more info was needed. If not, decisiion would be made within 16 days.

She called the regular VA line later today to double check that info.

She was told claim was settled and award letter was sent out today!!!!!!

Does this mean claim was approved? Does it mean that the info I sent as caregiver was ok'd?

The only other medcal expenses are for medicare part b and rx's (I was told in this forum they aren't considered).

13. Max

Max Hero Member

Calling is an option for claims workers at the VA. The problem is that the Veterans Claims Assistance Act (VCAA) of 2000 states that VA cannot deny a claim for non-submission of evidence unless that evidence has been formally requested by mail. If a claims worker calls a claimant and asks for something and waits a week or two for the docs to show up and they don't come, then it was essentially a waste of time and they will have to write the letter anyway.

The VCAA is both a blessing and a curse. It creates a barrier between VA employees and claimants, but it also makes sure that VA always requests documents formally before denying claims for non-submission.

14. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

We faxed that all on Tuesday. I am saying we called the VA today. The pension line said info was being reviewed by rating board.They would send letter if more info was needed. If not, claim would be decided in 16 days.

The regular 800# said claim was settled and reward letter was sent out today.

15. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Does anyone know what day monthly checks are deposited? We are nervous because we were told claim was settled and award letter was sent out on Friday. We don't know if claim was approved or denied.

16. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Is there any way to find outcome of claim is before letter arrives? We were told on Friday that claim was settled and award letter sent. We haven't received anything yet. Does it mean claim was approved if award letter was sent?

17. dahueter

dahueter Newbie

This sounds very familiar to my parents situation. My Mom submitted all of the information through the va office in late May. About two weeks later she received a letter stating that they received the claim. About two weeks later they received a phone call from Pennsylvania with a few questions. Then this week they received a letter stating the Va didn't consider any of the medical items that we line itemed out and we need to complete form 8146. And that we coUld only put down expenses from June 2011 .
    We got an answer quickly, but have to fill out another form and submit. They were awarded $20 a month.
    My question is, should they take the $20 and still submit form 8146? Will they adjust anything or is this what we can expect? And why are they making us fill out additional forms?

18. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

What expenses did your mother claim? Is she in an ALF or does she have an in home caregiver?

19. dahueter

dahueter Newbie

We were told to put down all medical, dental and vision expenses. She put down their Medicare supplement premiums, copays for drugs, payments for drugs that are not covered by Part D, payments for diapers, glasses,etc.
    My parents do not live in an ALF. She is the caregiver to my Dad who has Alzheimer's.
    Do we need to do something different?

20. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

I don't know. I was curious when you told me our claims were similiar. Someone else needs to address this question please.