Service Related Claim now in the 13th month...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greginmaine, Nov 18, 2008.

1. greginmaine

greginmaine Newbie

Despite having the Disabled American Veteran's Association as an Advocate for my Service Connected Disability Claim, I am now past the one year mark. Recent delays (60-90 Days (cant say for sure) were due to the fact that the VA could not find my Military Discharge Physical. Yes, I know, I should have maintained a copy... but I just can not find it from my 1989 discharge!

I am starting to get some ill feelings regarding my Claim. I have not worked in over two years now, yes Social Security Disability claim is now approaching the two year mark! My claim is for a back injury that I sustained when I fell down the engine ladder during a huricane in the North Atlantic. I was sent to Guantanomo Bay, Cuba medical center for xrays, testing and hospitalization. I recovered after a (3) week stay in the hospital and was sent back to active duty in the Mediteranean for 8 months.

When you are 19,20 or 21 years old there is little that you complain about medically (at least in my case). I was raised by my parents to perform the job at task and give 110%. I did just that for the eight years that I was in the Navy, even following my back injury and later my broken hand injury. I fufilled both of my 4-year contracts and was given an honorable discharge without medical conditions. I do not even think that there was any mention of my injuries in my medical discharge papers, but I just don't remember.

Years later my back injury (from the service) was aggrivated and found that I had to undergo surgery for something that should have been done at the onset of the injury. The same hold true for my right hand. So... I am trying to prove to the Compensation System here at Togus VA facility in Augusta, Maine - but, I am concerned that because I did NOT complain about the pain through my enlistment and immediately following my discharge, that I may be denied!

Oh, in addition to the back and hand claim, I also filed a claim for hearing loss and tenitus. Working in the engine room certainly did not do my hearing any good, and I worked in a noise free enviroment following my stent in the service.

I contacted my Congressional Rep. (Sen. Olympia Snowe) and she has been great when it comes to my Social Security Claim, but I have received NO action in regards to my VA Compensation Claim!

One last thing... I served duty 2miles off of the coast of Beirut/Lebanon while we supported the Marines on shore with our gun fire support. BUT, I am not considered a "War-time" Veteran because Congress does NOT recognize this Peace Keeping Campaign "War-time". Does anyone know if there is any legislature to change this? It makes a BIG difference when it comes to being eligible for different VA services!!

Disabled Vet in Maine