Questions re: 21-526

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProudVetDaughter, Mar 20, 2014.

1. First, let me say how delighted I am to find this forum. I am amazed at the effort Debbie and the forum participants generously put forth to help others find the help they need. Thank you!

I am preparing an application for my 90-year-old father, a proud WWII Navy vet, who is now living in a nursing home. After a series of many mini-strokes last year, he has severe dementia. I would appreciate some help with the following questions regarding form 21-526:

Question 12A regarding treatment at a VA Medical Facility: my father did see a doctor at a VA facility annually for a number of years. His last doctor visit was probably in 2012, but I’m not sure. He did this for the prescription benefits and because he thought it wise to “be in the system” for any possible needs in the future. His primary care, however, has always been provided by his long-time physician in his hometown, who has completed form 21-2680. He also got hearing aids from the VA in 2012. I know the dates of the hearing aid visits, but not the physician visits. I don’t know how to report this on the 21-526. Can someone help me?

My father is receiving benefits of $50/day from a long-term care insurance policy. Since the benefit is paid directly to him, I am listing this benefit under “Income Information” rather than reducing the cost of the nursing home in Part X. Do you think this is correct?

Although I’ve seen much discussion on this forum about the reporting of asset transfers, I can’t find where one reports the transfers. Early last year before his health suddenly declined and he had any idea of the predicament ahead for him, he gifted very modest amounts of cash to his children. I understand that these gifts must be reported, but I don’t know where on 21-526 to report it. In Part XIII—Remarks, perhaps?

Again, thank you for all you do!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome, and we are glad you found us!

His primary doctor can complete the 21-2680, and don't worry about the his VA visits.

The $50 a day counts as income, so you can only count what he is paying that is not covered by the policy.

Assets only count from the date of application, so would just leave things based solely on his current assets and income. Don't go into the "gifts" on the application.

Good Luck with the process.

3. Thank you so much for the guidance, Debbie! It's of great help.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Happy to be here to help!