Question regarding death of Vet's spouse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kelly, Mar 16, 2015.

1. kelly

kelly Newbie

My folks were receiving about $600 per month for A&A. My mom died in September last year and my dad received a letter today saying he has 60 days to refile or they will discontinue his pension. My dad is all upset that they would do this after losing his wife of over 65 years. The letter is very complicated and they want expenses listed under certain medical categories. It says something to the effect like we will pay you under A if B doesn't apply or we will pay the minimum of B & C. We cannot make heads or tails of this form or how to reprocess these forms once again. I can't believe the VA can make any sense of any of this either. Anyone have any experience?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Did he/you notify the VA of your Mom's passing?

I am going off the assumption that your Dad is the veteran. He should have been able to send in a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim letting the VA know he should be rated as a single vet, which depending on his care expenses would decrease his pension amount. If his care expenses have increased, then he should notify them as well.