question about being approved

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tarabl, Apr 17, 2008.

1. tarabl

tarabl Newbie

We received papers stating that my mom was granted a death pension and in addition an allowance for aid and attendance. This is pending on a fidiciuary being appointed.

Mom is now in hospice, after having a stroke while at her assisted living, and is even more incompetent that before. The doctors provided us with a letter stating this and the case worker told my sister, who is petitioning for being appointed fidiciuary, that she should write a letter asking that the 90 day period be waived due to the circumstances.

First of all, I'm amazed, the claim was only received January 8 of this year. Second what is the death pension that they said she was granted. Is that just tied into the aid and attendance?
  2. veteranadvocate

veteranadvocate Full Member

Glad to hear the positive news that your Mom’s benefit has been approved. It is amazing that it got through so quickly. I am sure the application was completed properly and all supporting documents provided with the application. This helps greatly. Would you mind sharing what State your Mom lives in? We like to keep track of processing times for different States.

In addition to requesting that the waiting period be waived, you can request that the VA go ahead and pay the benefits directly to the widow or to the hospice facility due to hardship. It may also speed things by having your local congressional office to submit the request on your Mother’s behalf. It is taking 4-6 weeks to get mail out of some Regional Office’s mailroom. The congressional rep has a contact person at the local VA Regional Office and they can send or fax it directly to that individual and request the action be expedited.

If for some reason your Mother pass away before she receives the check, her estate can file for amount due but not paid at time of death. Please keep us posted

The Veteran Advocate
  3. tarabl

tarabl Newbie

We are in Pennsylvania. I filed with the Philadelphia veteran's office on Wissahicken Avenue.

When I filed I sent anything and everything. I also made sure to put it in a ziploc bag inside the envelope so if it got seperated from the envelope documents wouldn't be floating around in the mail system. I can't say how long mom will last because she is not intaking any fluids or solids. I'm totally shocked that we got approval so fast. But thanks to your site and the other sites dedicated to helping families it made the process so much easier.
  4. ida

ida Newbie

My 89 year old mother-in-law filed for aid and attendance back in August 2007. My husband and I have been calling every month for the past six months to get status on the claim. They keep telling us "... it is still pending. We are working on it." We are at our wits (and close to monies) end. What can we do?
    Any help or advise will be appreciated!
  5. sharon

sharon Newbie

We applied in October for my dad. He has been in assisted living since August. The VA scheduled 3 different medical examinations for him in March. We have complied with all of the requirements and they say it is still pending final review. Does anybody have any idea how much longer this will take. He has run out of money, and we are paying his expenses.
  6. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I know at times it must feel like a shell game. There have been times that the VA approves in as little as 6 weeks and then there are the horror stories of folks fighting for 2 years! 7 months is really pushing this. Part of the problem is that all the focus is on the veterans returning home from Iraq and the VA is responding to the pressures of the media and spotlighting the current war. The older veteran's claims are getting pushed further and further to the back burner.

This sounds a lot like one of the VA's delay tactics. There should not have been the need for 3 physicians to be involved in this. The primary physician’s statement submitted with the application should have been sufficient. You can also have the ALF write a letter stating the services they have to provide for him.

It may be time for you to call upon your Senator or Congressional person and ask for them to act on your behalf.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope to hear a postive update in the near future.
  7. sharon

sharon Newbie

Who or what is the ALF?
  8. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Sorry.........Assisted Living Facility.
  9. madlou

madlou Newbie

In Michigan it takes at least eight to nine months for an application to be approved or denied. I know of a couple that have taken a year. I don't know where the snag is in the processing. All the paperwork is complete, doctor's forms, nursing home forms, death certificates, marriage licenses, discharge...whatever they need we send. I am amazed to hear that some of you are receiving answers after only 2-3 months. Is this a difference based only on the state in which the application is processed? I thought there were pension centers handling all the claims for pension and A&A. ???