Q on Authorization to disclose personal information to a third party

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Catie, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Catie

Catie Jr. Member

On the Authorization to disclose personal information to a third party form, question 11 asks for a security question (and answer) you want used when verifying the identity of your designated third party.

I can't tell: Is this supposed to be a question the applicant can answer or that I, her designated third party, can answer?

2. new57

new57 Newbie

I put down an answer i (son of the veteran) could answer.

3. Catie

Catie Jr. Member

That's what I was thinking but then I wondered if maybe it should be one she could answer.

4. jpez

jpez Full Member

Technically, the questions are about the vet.
    There can be up to 3 people listed as 'third party'. THey each are not listing their high school.

5. AnnieN

AnnieN Newbie

I put down a question we both could answer. I used a question specific to the Vet. For example, what is your Father's middle name? When I first answered that question by the VA I used to tell them my father's middle name. They would pause, I would realize my mistake and I would tell them the Vet's father's middle name. If she ever had to answer that question she would know the answer (at least at this stage in her dementia). It's no biggie. In my experience you get more than one chance to get it right.

6. Catie

Catie Jr. Member

"Select the security question you would like us to ask your designated third party and provide the answer. This question will be asked each time your designated third party contacts our office."

The instructions sure sound like it ought to be a question I as the 3rd party can answer... But in reality, according to what some of you are saying, it might not work that way.

7. jpez

jpez Full Member

no one knows who the vet's first pet was..........
    so you can put anything, really.

But the question, in relation to the vet, is asked to the third party each time about the VET.

think about it. there is space for 3 different people but only one set of questions.
    THe implication, is that the VET has shared a personal piece of information about the VET with a third party.
    why would the VA care or know about the 'third party".

"Select the security question you(THE APPLICANT/VET/WIDOW) would like us to ask your designated third party and provide the answer. This question will be asked each time your designated third party contacts our office."