power of attorney

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by maralina1, Apr 19, 2011.

?

does my mother need to have power of attorney?

1. maralina1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

my mother is filing for aid and attendance for my dad. he has alzheimer's. does she need to have power of attorney in order to file for him? i thought maybe because she is his spouse,she does not.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

No, she does not need POA, and the VA does not recognize POA or DPOA.

What she needs to do is to include a 21-0845 making her an Approved 3rd Party for the VA to discuss the application/claim with.

3. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

I am confused. Does she also need to send form 21-22a, Appointment of Individual as Claimants Representitive?

4. vetadmin

No. Just the 21-0845.

The 21-22a is not being used in the same capacity with the VA as it once served.

5. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. Im sure I'll have more questions before this process is through. This forum and website has been wonderful!

6. vetadmin

You're welcome.

Use the search feature to find postings on any topic you have a question on. Also reference the FAQ section on the main website.

Everything that you need is here, just have to take the time to search and read through.

7. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

Will my mother automatically be appointed fiduciary? She manages all their financial affairs.

8. vetadmin

There is no automatic assignment with the Fiduciary. She will need to wait until a decision is made on the application to see if the VA rules him incompetent.

If/when that happens, she will need to fill out the paperwork asking to be appointed.

9. Max

Max Hero Member

Pretty much, the physician's answer to question #27 on the 21-2680 determines if a fiduciary is needed.