Paying for living expenses/allowance - split state fiduciary

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by jflanigan77, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jflanigan77

jflanigan77 Newbie

First off I want to thank the administrators and everyone participating in these forums. I recently was appointed fiduciary for my father and the advice I found here was very helpful in guiding me through the process; including the extra complications because I am not located in the same state as he is.

Now that I have setup direct deposit to a fiduciary account I am able to pay for his assisted living facility via a check, and that is working great. My next question/project is figuring out the best way to pay for other living expenses such as clothing. Since I am located in CA and he is located in MD, it is not practical for me to go shopping with him and sign a check for payment. His sister (my aunt) has been helping with these in-person activities in the past using existing funds from a separate personal account; however ideally we'd be able to pay for these out of the VA funds, as we have the extra money and allowance indicated on monthly usage form.

Any suggestions? I believe check and electronic bill payment are typically the only acceptable means of payment, so I'm not sure how he can actually use his allowance. In some cases I can purchase clothing and ship it to him, but it would be better if he can pick out his own clothing; and that won't work in other cases such as a haircut.

Asking the question another way; I wonder how VA-appointed (paid) fiduciaries handle this situation. I don't imagine they are required to physically go shopping with the veteran, but they are required to make sure the veteran is able to pay for these expenses.

Thanks for the help.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

We are glad to know that the site and forums were of help to you in this process, and most of all that your Dad is able to benefit.

As a suggestion, how about gift cards to specific stores that he shops in such as Kohls etc. This way he can select his clothes, and use the card for payments.

I would keep receipts for the gift cards, and if possible for your aunt to hang on to the receipts just in case down the road they would be needed.