No longer in need of A&A

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by vonbrown, Feb 8, 2016.

1. vonbrown

vonbrown Newbie

Its great that such a benefit exists for disabled veterans and I am grateful for their service. How does one discontinue A&A? If the veteran's health has improved and feels that they no longer need financial help, how does one stop receiving benefits? I know this sounds crazy but I cant seem to find an answer to such a situation. What if the veteran dies or what if the veteran has no caregiver after receiving A&A benefits? Is there a form to fill out? How does one report changes? I'm just curious about how this all works.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

vonbrown,

Yessir, you can inform the VA if a veteran no longer needs the Aid and Attendance benefit. The fastest way to do so is to use form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim letting the VA know there has been a change in financial need for the veteran or if they have passed away.

If a veteran or spouse of veteran dies before accrued funds after the fiduciary process are awarded, the primary son/daughter or another family member can also file for any expenses that they paid for on deceased's behalf and are entitled to reimbursement. If son/daughter or another family member did not pay expenses, then they are not entitled to the back monies that were being held prior to fiduciary appointment.

I hope this helps, vonbrown

3. vonbrown

vonbrown Newbie

Thank you Kaylin for your dedication, yes, your answer helps, but alas, I have more questions.
    After receiving A&A which by the way is paid to the veteran, what is the money spent on? What if a family member helps the veteran around the house, bathing, cooking meals, does the money go to them? Can the money be spent on rent for a apartment, groceries, car insurance, a cable tv bill? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I want to be sure we are doing this correctly. Thanks again!

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

vonbrown,

The money from Aid and Attendance is meant to be spent on costs of care. Such as an assisted living facility, regular in home caregiver, etc. Paying rent is not exactly what the benefit is meant for. And when a veteran or spouse makes an application for the Aid and Attendance benefit, the VA will look at what the veteran/spouse is paying for as far as care and what income they already have coming in. In addition to any assets.

A family member can act as a caregiver as long as the veteran/spouse is paying them monthly by check so they can show it on their bank statements.

If you need further explanation of what exactly the benefit is and how to apply, please go to these pages on our website:
    http://www.veteranaid.org/about.php
    http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php