Newbie Questions for A&A and Form 21-2680

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Micrho, Aug 1, 2010.

  1. Micrho

    Micrho Newbie

    I am in the process of requesting A&A for my Mom, and have a few questions that I need help answering. I have learned a lot from reading the web site. Thanks for all you do.

    My Mom is 88 years old and recently moved into an Assisted Living Facility following a stint in the hospital and nursing rehab due to a compression fracture. My Dad served in the Navy during WW II from 1943 to 1945. He passed away in 1969, and my Mom never remarried. She has only Social Security income and a small ($50/mo) pension, so she now needs Aid & Attendance to defray the costs of her ALF.

    I am completing the forms for her, and need to get them signed and mailed soon. Can you comment whether I am headed in the right direction, or if there is something that you see we are missing? Our package will include:

    Form 21-22a
    Form 21-0845
    Form 21-534
    Form 21-2680
    Marriage Certificate when Mom and Dad married (Mom never remarried)
    Death Certificate for Dad’s death
    Navy Discharge Papers (Form NavPers 553 – Notice of Separation – seems to have all of the required information)
    Bank statements (she has no other assets)
    Social Security Income Benefit Letter (this letter has the amount of the Medicare medical insurance deduction) and support for her small pension from a former employer (she has no other income)
    Billing statement from her Assisted Living Facility (this is her only expense)

    I need help with a few questions:

    1. I have a copy of a “Certificate of Eligibility” from 1949, stating my Dad was eligible for the benefits of Title III of the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944, apparently in support of a loan. The instructions to Form 21-534 say to submit original discharge papers if the veteran has never filed a claim with the VA. Does this certificate indicate that he has filed a claim?
    2. Regarding Form 21-2680, the physician asked us to complete as much of the form as we could before giving it to her. I left the boxes blank on several items, but the physician returned a signed form without putting anything in them. Can someone assist me with the types of words normally used for the following?
    a. Item 10. Complete Diagnosis (the rest of the form indicates that she needs assistance with meal preparation, bathing/hygiene, medication management, and that her ability to get around has been restricted following the fracture in her back)
    b. Item 14. Nutrition
    c. Item 15. Gait
    d. Item 28. Posture and General Appearance
    e. Item 31. Describe Restriction of the Spine, Trunk and Neck (she was hospitalized with an L1 compression fracture in May 2010)3. As noted above, Mom spent some time in the hospital and nursing rehab for the compression fracture. All associated costs were covered by insurance, so they do not form part of the basis for the expenses surrounding the A&A application. Do we need to include any information for these hospital stays?

    Are we missing anything else?

    I will appreciate any advice you can give.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Do not include the 21-22a. The 21-0845 is what you want to use.

    1) No
    2) Never leave anything blank on a form to the VA. If something is not applicable, then indicate N/A, but the Dr needs to complete the form indicating all her needs and physical state. This is not a complicted form and not sure why she would not provide all the information.

    Make sure keep a complete copy of the application for your records and to send Return Receipt. You also want to be sure you send to the correct processing center for the state she resides in. Please provide and we will give you the appropriate address.
  3. Micrho

    Micrho Newbie

    Thanks for the prompt response.

    Regarding the discharge papers, I do not have a certified copy of the form. Can I submit what I have, and follow up with a 21-4138 when I receive the certified copy, or should I wait and submit a complete package?

    My third question was whether I needed to include any information on her hospital stay. Is there anything we need to include for this?
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Go ahead and send what you have to at least get the ball rolling. If the VA wants a certified copy they may request it on behalf of your mom, or may let you know you need to provide one.

    You can include copies of his recent hospital stays, but generally the VA is looking at reocuring medical expenses that are not reimbursed, but it can't hurt to help establish his physical needs.

    You do not mention which state she resides in.
  5. Micrho

    Micrho Newbie

    Sorry - she is in Houston, TX.
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Applications for the state of TX need to be sent to:

    St Paul Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling
    St. Paul, MN 55111-4050

    Good luck with the applicaiton process.

Share This Page