Need to get Dad in an ALF ASAP

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by kelly, May 25, 2015.

  1. kelly

    kelly Newbie


    Due to family circumstances my father can no longer live with a family member and immediately needs to get into an ALF due to his worsening Alzheimer's, and my sister/caregiver no longer able to care for him. He currently gets $600 a month from A & A and has about $2500 in SS per month. Our one state VA home is full and was little help. Are there any ALF homes that their A & A will cover? We live in CT if that is of any help.
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    The assumption here on my part is the low A&A award was due to him having in-home care by your sister and not paying that much. Once he is in the ALF, you can send in VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim informing the VA that his care expenses have gone up, and state the amount. Also get a Statement of Occupancy from the facility, and they will list the costs and services being provided.

    Since he is already receiving the benefit, it should not be long for them to recalculate. I would include a letter stating that he is requesting expediting the process due to a "financial hardship" and I would state the State VA Home does not have any openings.

    I would not wait to long before calling and following up on it as it sounds as though time is really an issue.

    Best of luck with it all.

Share This Page