My experience with VA for March 2015

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by Trek161, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

After finding this site, Veteranaid.org, I determined that my father, a WWII vet, was eligible for the Aid and Attendance Pension. Following the website's instructions, I filed a STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM, form 21-4138 with the wording recommended.

I mailed the form to the proper VA Center using certified mail, return receipt request as suggested by the website on 9 March 2015. To date, I have not recieved anythng back from VA, including the receipt requested. I tracked the form sent and USPS showed that it was received by the VA Center on 13 March.

I think that they are chosing to ignore the form since they are coming out with new procedures for filing, including having to use their new forms, effective 24 March 2015.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully the receipt will show up. I would check with the post office that handles your route. You have the number, so they should be able to track it for you.

Not hearing anything from the VA in 11 days is no cause for alarm. It may be up to 30+ days before you get a form letter from them acknowledging you.

3. 215thAAA

215thAAA Newbie

Don't delay your application while waiting to hear back from the VA. Follow the advice on this site to gather all the necessary information and forms, and submit your claim. That's what I did and the VA honored the date of the Informal Claim.

4. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Thank you for the great advice. The receipt finally did show up, dated 13 March 2015. Hopefully this means that I can continue the application process under the old rules (prior to 24 March 2015). I've collected most of the information needed, just waiting for my father's doctor to fill out the medical form.

5. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Just a follow-up. I finally did get a letter dated 9 April 2015 from the VA stating that I needed to fill out VA Form 21-527EZ. What I was looking for was the VA file number which they did provide (actually it was a "In reply refer to:" number).

I did get my father's doctor to fill out the VA Form 21-2680. Hopefully I'm on my way in getting benefits for my parents.

6. vetadmin

Hopefully so, and glad you received the receipt back.

7. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Great news! My father was awarded $2,120 per month as a veteran in time of war plus spouse. Thank you VeteranAid and Debbie Burak for your assistance. Without VeterAid.org I would not have known about this VA assistance.

I previously went to the official VA site and was lead to believe that financial assistance was based purely on income, not expenses.

8. vetadmin

Trek,

So happy to hear this news, and I am glad to have been here for you during this process.

All the best to you and your parents.

9. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Are the VA benefits subject to Federal and State taxes?

10. vetadmin

No. The award is tax-free.

11. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Great. Thank you for the quick response.

12. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Sad to say, my mother just passed away. What is the procedure for notifying VA? Also will I have to go through the entire filing procedure for my father (who is the Vet) again?

Thanks

13. ellie29609

ellie29609 Newbie

So sorry for your loss. Will keep your family in our prayers

14. vetadmin

Trek,

My condolences on the loss of your Mom. I know this is a difficult time for you and your family, and I am sorry.

You can call the VA at 800 827-1000. They should advise you on what they want for adjusting the award amount. It may be as simple as doing VA from 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim notifying that his spouse has passed and to adjust for a single veteran. You should NOT have to do a brand new application. That situation generally occurs when the vet passes, and the spouse has to reapply as the surviving widow.

Again, my thought go out to you and your family.

15. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Thank you for all for your condolences. Fortunately my father is taking it well since he knew my mother was suffering. Also thank you for all of the great advice.

16. vetadmin

You're more than welcome, and glad that your Dad is doing ok.

17. DorisMae

DorisMae Newbie

Hi Trek - you might want to do your own calculation so you know ahead of time how your father's new amount will be computed. If your mother had a lot of medical expenses that were included in the original calculation, that could drastically change his award amount - as I very recently learned in my father's case (and it took over 6 months to find out the new figure). Best wishes - DorisMae

18. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

After 4 months, VA finally acknowledged the death of my mother. In addition to the 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, they also want a new expense care form, 21-8049 Request for Details of Expenses, and 21P-8416 Medical Expense Report (for this year and project for next year) filled out.

What should be entered in the 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim?

Also VA did not request for the impact of my mother's dealth my father's income, e.g. loss of social security benefits from her, plus survivor's benefits from her annuity which reduces my father's overall income. Should I provide that to VA?

19. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Trek161,

What you can include on the Statement in Support of Claim is the details you mentioned about how your father's income will be affected. If these can be shown with the addition of a bank statement showing before and after your mother's death, that may be good to include as well. That way the VA can properly identify how much your father has coming in vs. how much he is spending now.

20. Trek161

Trek161 Newbie

Kaylin,

Thank you for the great suggestion. I will include the impact of my mother's death on my Dad's income.

Tom