Moved mom due to lack of money. A&A in process....How do I update them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dancermom, Dec 20, 2011.

  1. dancermom

    dancermom Newbie

    Hi everyone,

    I have been trying to get the A&A benefit for my mom since May. I just finally decided to move her since it is taking so long and she is out of money almost. My husband and I can't afford the $2000 deficit a month at her old place.

    Do I inform the VA or wait for them to make a decision?

    Thanks.
     
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Are you looking to cancel the application, or are you just going to pay for services to come into the home and provide care?
     
  3. dancermom

    dancermom Newbie

    Hi,

    I moved her to another assisted living that is less expensive although it is still way more than her income.

    Thanks.
     
  4. dancermom

    dancermom Newbie

    Hi,

    Just to add a little more info....My application date was in August and it looks like a decision rating was made on Sept 12th but that is as far as it goes. I have called 4 times starting in November and no one really knows why it is held up....(I guess they can't see any reason why a notification of decision has not gone out to us) Last Wednesday, someone was assigned to look into it and call me within 7-10 business days with what is going on.

    I haven't told them that I moved my mom two weeks ago (to a ASL down the road from her previous ASL) since I have no idea where we even stand. She was going to be completely out of money by March if I didn't move her and my husband and I just can't afford the $2000 a month deficit. We have three small children to still raise.

    I am wondering if they are going to make us start all over with the process? Should I start the paperwork again with the new facility? She still has the same doctor that filled out the paperwork that deemed her incompetent.

    Regardless, I don't want to appear to be withholding information or giving wrong info (although it was correct in August). Should I mention her new residence to whoever calls me from the VA?
    Thanks so much for this site....Wish I would have known about this a year ago!!



    Lie
     
  5. AngelaManz

    AngelaManz Jr. Member

    Use the Statement in Support of Claim and send that in with a brief explanation of what happened along with a revised medical expense form. You can also contact your local congressional office to see if they will help speed up the process. Our local reps are great and I see very quick results when I have clients write a short letter to them asking for help.
     
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    I agree with Angela that you need to contact your state Senator or Congressperson a.s.a.p. If they made a rating in Sept, there is no excuse you have not been notified. The application is sitting in limbo, and an inquiry should rectify that.

    Keep us posted.
     
  7. dancermom

    dancermom Newbie

    Thanks so much for your replies. I haven't even thought about a senator or congressional office. Should I wait to send in the Statement in Support of Claim form and letter until after I here from this caseworker assigned?

    And yes, the 3 people from the VA that I have talked too in recent weeks didn't say as much, but it definately looked like our file had fallen through the cracks....

    Thanks,
    Vickie
     
  8. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Vickie,

    Personally, I would wait until you get a decision on the applicaton. From what you have said, you don't even know if she is approved at this time. If you send an update on her status before a determination is made, it may very well delay even longer. If you contact your state offices and they make an inquiry, the VA is supposed to respond within 5-7 days. Personally, I would not wait on the representative to get back with you. I would make the congressional inquiry now.

    Once you have the decision and the pension is awarded, then you can notify about the move, and all I would do is get a Statement of Occupancy listing the costs from the new facility to include with the 21-4138.
     
  9. dancermom

    dancermom Newbie

    Thank so much for your time! I am going to get working on the Senator angle and wait to hear from the VA before I make them aware of the move.

    I will let you know what I find out! Can't even begin to tell you what a blessing this website is. So nice to talk with people that understand!

    Vickie
     
  10. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Thanks for your kind words, and who better to help than those who have already been down the road.....
     

Share This Page