Mother denied A and A, because can't find 70 year old divorce date

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Karl, Oct 9, 2017.

  1. Karl

    Karl Newbie

    My 96 year old mother is applying for Aid and Attendance. She completely qualifies, but has one issue. She has been denied because her veteran husband was married briefly in the 40's and she doesn't have the dates of the marriage or the divorce. Ive tried looking through all the records i could find. I even did an Ancestry search and could not find the records. Does anybody have an idea on how else to get those records? It seems the VA will deny the claim without them.
  2. EvaM

    EvaM Newbie

    1. Do you know the first and last name of the former wife (from the 40's)? (her Maiden name if searching for marriage record) (Veteran's surname likely for her if searching for divorce record).

    2. Do you know the places (city & state) for that first marriage and divorce?

    3. If you have the above information, look up the website for the county & state where the divorce occurred or might have occurred.
    -Some places like the state of Nevada counties now have a public online search engine at which you can enter the parties names and it will then give you the case number and date. (Depends on the county/state how many years back the online search engine will go).
    -With the case number and parties' names, you can then write to the clerk of the court and request a certified copy of the divorce decree/final judgment of dissolution. (the clerk's websites often tell you how much it will cost per page and the cost for certified copy).
    -You may also want to request a copy of the petition/complaint for dissolution because within the first few paragraphs it may show/reveal the date and place of the marriage!
    -If the online search engine does not go back to the 1940's, then with the parties' names and the place where the divorce likely occurred, make a written request to that clerk of court to search their records back that far (be sure to ask up front for the cost for such a search) (website likely shows a direct phone number & name for the family law clerk of court/for seeking divorce case # and decree, so making a call and talking to the clerk can also be very helpful).

    4. If the place (city/state) where the divorce occurred is unknown, try searching in the county/state where the Veteran was known or believed to reside at about that time. (An Ancestry search online may show a Census form near that time for the Veteran, including who lived in his household and the place at which resided).
    jscott and Kaylin like this.
  3. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Thank you for your input, @EvaM ! Couldn't have put it better myself.
  4. jscott

    jscott Jr. Member

    This is a long shot, but check the county where he lived before he entered the service. If it was after the war, check for the place of discharge on his separation papers (for example, my father in law's discharge papers said Yonkers, NY, which is in Westchester County, and that's where he was married).

    Another long shot: Do you have any relatives you can ask?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Kaylin likes this.

Share This Page