Medical Expense Report - how to list multiple providers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by care4vets, Aug 12, 2014.

1. care4vets

care4vets Newbie

I have a question regarding submission of updated Medical Expenses. The VA contacted us letting us know there will be an adjustment due to a SSA cola. They asked for an updated Medical Expense Report. They specifically asked us to lump expenses together with an annual total by category & not report them individually (as we did on the initial application).

My question is this: is it acceptable to lump Providers together by category (eg, Over-the-Counter Category ..... is it ok under Provider to say "Walmart, Target, Walgreens" all in the same line) OR should there be one distinct line for each Provider (ie, under Over-the-counter, one line for Walmart, one for Target, one for Walgreens)?

Thanks!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Do not list Walgreens, Target etc.

Put the total for RX's.

3. care4vets

care4vets Newbie

Thank you for your reply!

That's how I would list them if I were just reporting them on the Statement of Claim; however, the VA sent Medical Expense Reports and also included an example (in their example, they have 'Walgreens' under 'Provider').

If I didn't have to fill in the Provider, it would be so much easier. Since they have it on their form, I don't know if I need one line for each provider, or if a summary will do. But in that case, how would I fill out Provider?

THANKS!

4. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

care4vets,

Here is what the VA means:

1) You do need to be specific with providers. For example, if you paid out of pocket for multiple doctors, you need to list the specific names of the doctors. This is the same for medications.

2) However, if you paid out of pocket 15 different times at Walgreen's, group all those expenses in one entry. The VA doesn't want to see 15 different entries for Walgreen's.

Hope that helps.

5. care4vets

care4vets Newbie

Thanks,
    I do realize that; however, my question is regarding multiple providers. If, say, there were several Over-the-Counter purchases at Walgreens, several at Target and several at Wal-Mart, how do I list them? One line per provider? Or one line total with "Walgreens, Target & Wal-mart" all one one line under Provider?

Thanks so much!

6. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

"One line per provider?"

Yes...that's what I was trying to say. If you have 15 Walgreen purchases, report them all under one entry.