Many questions on the AA paperwork

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by annie49, Jan 19, 2016.

1. annie49

annie49 Newbie

Thank you for this site, what a Godsend. I do however have several questions.
    My Father is a 93yr old WWll Navy Vet. I have been taking care of him in my home for 3yrs now. He has been seeing Drs. at a VA clinic as well as local drs. He is now on a waiting list for an Assisted Living Facility and that should be coming up in a couple of months. He is in need of outside help, and i can no longer do it.
    For starters, ..How does he apply (he is capable of signing papers), since we are awaiting an ALF? Does he apply for Aid and Attendance or for Homebound?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

annie94,

So happy to hear this site has been helpful to you!

Get everything ready for the application now. Unless he is already paying someone for care, you need to wait until he has been accepted. At that point you would get a "Statement of Occupancy" from the facility showing the monthly charge, and then file the application.

If he is already paying someone for care to come in, or even paying you for care, you can file now if the medical expenses qualify. You have to be able to show that he is currently paying for care through bank statements. Otherwise, it'd probably be best to wait until he is moved into the Assisted Living Facility. Since he is 93 years old, you can request his application be expedited by the VA. They will work faster due to his age.

I hope this helps! Thank you to your father for his service.

If you need instructions on how to apply, I have the link in my signature below that goes to the proper page on our website.

3. annie49

annie49 Newbie

My Dad does pay me to care for him and pay his expenses, but no way could i verify all
    that. So, if we wait for the ALF, should we file an intent to file form now?
    Dad already receives a small disability pension (for non service related disability), since 1993.
    Does that make any difference?

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Annie,

All you would have to do is list the amount that he pays you each month for his care. If it is enough, he would qualify now.

Yes, he has to sign everything.

Yes, you can file an Intent to File to lock in the date, but before you move forward, we need you need to clarify what type of disability pension he receives and from who, as this potentially could impact his application.

5. annie49

annie49 Newbie

The disability compensation he receives is from the VA. $215 a month for non service related disability. 100% for Parkinson's and 10% for Rheumatoid Arthritis. He was awarded that at a VA hospital he was in, the early 90's.
    Also, he writes me a small check each month, pays his bills and he gives me the balance cash. So i could not prove much of that on a bank statement.
    So should i wait for the call from the ALF and file the Intent to File form.

6. vetadmin

Given these circumstances, yes you should wait until he is in the ALF to make formal application.

7. annie49

annie49 Newbie

Thank you so much for your help.. :)
    I am so afraid that he will not get the full amount, because that is what he needs for the ALF.
    Have been working on putting this package together for months, with no real help, till i
    found this site.
    The VA Benefits manager in our area was useless, and i waited a month to see him.
    This has been a nightmare, plan on writing my congressman tomorrow (Jeff Miller).. Just to vent.

8. vetadmin

Annie49,

You are welcome, and if you will use the site and these forums, you should be able to navigate the process smoothly.

It is not uncommon for local VSO's to not be the best resource when it comes to the particular "pension" benefit as they generally work on "compensation" claims, which are very different.

9. annie49

annie49 Newbie

Filing out the form with monthly income and medical expenses.
    Do you put in for monthly income the gross amount of Social Security
    and than in medical expenses the $104 that comes out for medicare?
    If so there is no space for monthly deduction there, that i can see.

10. vetadmin

What form are you looking at?

11. annie49

annie49 Newbie

New problem is that there is a short fall on the fee for ALF. It is now more than $75 than his monthly income will be. He has a little money in a safe deposit box and a monthly payment from his grandson for a loan he gave him. My question is should we put that money in the bank to cover that short fall for about a year. And can someone help him with any of that shortfall? He is going to apply for a bridge loan.

12. vetadmin

Annie49,

Did you include the cash in the safe box when making application along with the amount for the repayment of the loan?

If not it is not advisable to change his financial picture during the application process especially if this is a nominal amount that does not substantially affect his finances.

A family member can help with the shortfall, but it needs to be paid from a personal account of that individual and not deposited into his bank account.

Someone is going to have to cosign on that bridge loan as no one is going to make it to him without having someone else liable for the payment.