Just getting started to apply for A & A

Discussion in 'How to Apply Questions' started by Kathyk, Sep 7, 2016.

  1. Kathyk

    Kathyk Newbie

    This is my first post on this forum. My mother has Alzheimer's and lives with me (her daughter) and am getting ready to apply for this benefit. Currently I work 3 days a week and have a lady come to take care of mom while I work. So can I use the A & A funds to pay myself to take care of her, for say the remainder of the week (4 days). I can't work full time anymore since mom lives with me, and I want her to stay in my home as long as possible. Not sure what all I can use these funds for.

    Thank you
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Yes, Kathyk, you can use the funds to pay yourself for caring for your mother. If your mother is paying for in-home care, regardless if it is you or another home-care agent, then she could be eligible.
  3. Kathyk

    Kathyk Newbie

    Thanks for the info. Another question; I was looking through my dads paperwork from the Navy, and he doesn't have a DD-214, but has a Discharge Certificate and a typed letter that states; "This is evidence of your service in the Navy. You may be asked to show it when you apply for a job or when you wish to take advantage of any benefit to which you may be entitled as a veteran". The certificate is titled NOTICE OF SERARATION FROM U.S.NAVY SERVICE. So can I use this paperwork in place of a DD214?

    One more question! My mom has Alzheimer's and does see a Neurologist. Would I have that doctor fill out the doctor form or had her PCP fill it out, or both?

    Thanks you.
    Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Good questions. The Notice of Separation paper should be sufficient. Some Navy papers in the past were slightly different from the DD214, and the VA will still accept them.

    You would have your mother's general physician fill out the Physician's Statement form.
  5. Kathyk

    Kathyk Newbie

    Thanks so much, this was helpful. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I prepare the paperwork.
    Kaylin likes this.
  6. Baystreet

    Baystreet Newbie

    I am getting started to apply for A&A for both my mother-in-law and my father-in-law. My father-in-law is the only veteran but both require assisted living and my MIL is on hospice. I have downloaded the paperwork, but I am not sure how to make it clear that the application is for both of them. Do I have to submit a doctor's evaluation for both of them? Is there a separate form other than the 21-527EZ that I have to use for my mother-in-law?

    Also, I have the original DD-214. Can I make a copy of this and send a notarized letter with it saying that the copy is exact, or is it better to wait until I can get a certified copy of the DD-214 from the VA? Is that the only document that must be certified? I also have the marriage certificates, the death certificate of my FIL's first wife (he's been married to the second for 42 years), and required financial statements.

    Thanks for your help! Without this forum I'm not sure I would have had a clue where to begin.
  7. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    You will have to have a physician's statement, nursing home status statement, statement of occupancy (from the facilities - ask them for it), and any supporting financial documents to show their assets like bank statements for both of them. You would still use the 21-527EZ to apply for the both of them because the entire application will be tied to the veteran. For example, if your father-in-law were to pass away you would have to do a completely new surviving spouse application for your mother-in-law.

    I would wait to get a certified copy of the DD214 from the VA. Just to be safe. I have not known of a case yet that they sent a normal copy and sent a notarized letter along with it for the DD214. The marriage certificates/death certificate must also be certified copies. I believe the site vitalcheck.com has the ability to send these to you.

Share This Page